Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaiian Shore's speed bumps
ishkabibble why you being all defensive. I am simply voicing my opinion as a Hawaiian shores resident. I say what I see. The Pres does not care about anyone else but herself. The park is a waste of space. The assocation board is just as bad as the last.
The park was a waste of space when we couldn't use it. It has now been book for a wedding and is making money for HSCA.
quote:
Originally posted by ishkabibble

The park was a waste of space when we couldn't use it. It has now been book for a wedding and is making money for HSCA.

Dont you mean making money for the Pres and her followers? Who would want to get married there? The park on the beaches side is alot prettier! Are you like the pres best friend? It seems this way.
Traffic safety/control is sure a huge issue here in Puna. From the cunning, though stealthy, planning of the Papio street bumps to the idiotic design of state roads and highways, like Old Pahoa Road and 130 and elsewhere, it is obvious traffic safety is never the quintessential reason for road design. I don't know but I would imagine the community members might have a case developing against their representatives for having laid bumps in such a manner as to encourage perpetual destruction of their road shoulders. As vehicles drive over the grass creating ruts and damaging the asphalt eroding the road edge to avoid having to drive over the bumps the long term damage costs may be another unintended consequence but it will be borne by the whole Membership. The time I drove down to look at the bumps there was a good sized flatbed truck, a newer one, white in color, and two compact cars coming out of Honolulu Landing. One car, interestingly the lowest to the ground, went over the bumps the other two drove around the first bump and turned up a side street. As I looked over their website I noticed in their documents that there is some responsibility to maintain and manage the community's property.

As to Hwy 130 and Old Pahoa Road, the right turn lane onto 130 from Malama side going towards Leilani is very uncomfortable. You are required to come to a stop and the limit line and curve of the intersection gives you the feeling that you are actually waiting ON the highway. Then they closed off being able to cross from the Fast Food road to turn onto Kahakai by their new lane markings. At least at that intersection you stopped at the correct angle and had a long line of sight with no obstruction with someone parked in a lane next to you waiting to turn left across the highway.

With the State and County traffic safety folks taking the lead in developing unsafe traffic conditions it is no surprise that leadership in the individual subdivisions might be tempted to follow State and County folly.

With the strong feelings of opposition to speed bumps by many many people I am not sure property values are necessarily enhanced. They may have gotten a bump up because of a cleared view of the ocean but the speed bumps may serve to cancel out the increase and even act as a deterrent for potential buyers in the future. When they can buy on a side street and not have to deal with the bumps but still have the view the folks facing Papio may have raised an impediment to speed with the bumps but time will tell if they did the same to their curb [resale] appeal!

Traffic control and how it is designed and enforced brings together a diverse bunch of people.

Question Authority!
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
My neighborhood uses speed bumps to effectively slow down fast drivers. Please suggest some alternatives to speed bumps that work as well.
@Greg, this was the suggestion by some: Spike strips! Of course, they demonstrated a jocular disposition when saying it. Another suggested inviting the local gendarme to sit on the side streets to make their end of the month quota especially since the law was passed a couple of years back to allow law enforcement authority to issue routine traffic citations on private roads.

There is an area of California you might be familiar with that disallows the approval and use of speed bumps? Liability laden. Personally, I don't care if someone wants to put the danged things on their street so long as I don't drive on that particular street, and I don't. I do care if it is somewhere I must drive because I enjoy positive forward movement. I enter the Puainako Shopping area where the least interference to me is encumbered by speed bumps. The same thing with Prince Kuhio. There are precious few at the Walmart parking lot and still people manage to behave and drive reasonably. The same with the new Safeway/Target area. I think the 'masses' generally operate their vehicles with respect for themselves and others and the few who do not, the old 80-20 ratio, find a way around the devices designed to stop them from speeding. As an old former police officer once opined regarding locks: "Locks do nothing to keep a thief intent on breaking and entering or stealing from realizing his/her intent." The speed bumps concept is the same. It is a sort of salve for those who want them but the people whose intent is to speed find their way around them. Down in that area of the community it took like 5 minutes for the folks on Kuna and Puna Coastal to see how the speeders figured out the work around. Just saying...

Glad they work well for your street. Hope I never see them on ours.

In answer to your question? I have always bought chosen to live somewhere safe for my outside pets. I learned that lesson the hard way by living on a very busy 4 lane street for far too many years. It was never speed but volume for us. Since then we have always looked at the traffic and its impact on our personal lives as part and parcel to the choice in residence. If after you do your due diligence and things beyond your control changes the dynamic I would understand the frustration of being constrained from indulgence of some of the more basic instincts to protect that society enforces. I understand one of the arguments in HPP AGAINST paving for some residence is this very thing. It will provide speed a chance to thrive. I lived on 27th in HPP and I can tell you I never saw anyone ripping down that red dirt road! I have discussed with my spouse selling and moving to somewhere like Eden Rock where there are historically NO plans to develop a community association nor to improve their horrible roads. One has to truly creep along on some of those roads in the back! Three acres is a lot of privacy. And, self constraint? Not so much.

Question Authority!
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)
Let it be foretold that the speed bumps will be a problem. You should listen to these multi-ton work trucks clattering over the abominations, with the speeders choosing more local neighborhood roads. A duckling cross walk would have been much more effective.
@ Likeable: Sounds like your mad because the money isn't going to you and your followers. Looks like those day are over.

No she isn't my best friend. I don't know her that well. What I do know that she doing a much better job than the last BOD President and her followers who did nothing but raise the water rate 72%. Than lie to the membership about needing water meter to get a USDA loan/grant to redo the water tank so she could employ her friend and family to install the meters, and a BOD. Sound illegal to me. Nothing like ripping off your neighbors to benifit her gang. Please give me a list of things the last BOD did to improve HSCA. I would love to see it. Maybe you should start seeing with your eyes open.
@ Greg- well said.
@afwjam - Yes, steady stream of vehicles using the unofficial detour through the neighborhood! The short detour around the bumps is slowly being cut off by signs and posts. This is pretty funny to watch. Don't they remember Sand Hill and the rocks and concrete blocks? People wont be deterred in the ingress and egress they choose.

What about that cell tower? I heard they have put it on the back burner because they have too much on their plate already. A cell tower would REALLY enhance life in Hawaiian Shores.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein