Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential restrictions to Mauna Kea access
seems to me that everyone is tired of this TMT protest.

I hope it goes the way of this thread...and the Dodo
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

(this is gypsys wife) i just want to thank snorkle for a real good laugh today. You are funny.

You would enjoy that type of humor if you enjoy that type of husband.

You two are just a couple of clowns!
The wekiu bug has lost the ability to fly but still has short stubby wings. And in this natural Darwin laboratory of Hawaii, they evolved super strong legs instead. They basically use their wings like a jumpjet for extended range. It is true, this bug was almost unknown except in Hawaiian legend, and UHH and academia were completely unaware of it when the cinder cones were bulldozed flat for the Subaru and Keck Observatories. Those cones were also the most occupied. The significance is those cones were the highest points on the Mauna, said to be clearly the breasts of Poliahu when covered with snow. Well, now there are three breasts, Subaru and the Keck twins. This is all from the late 90's. The wekiu bug is doing fine in other cones, maybe not holding as sacred of a position. There have been extensive studies since then and there are no other animals that use the summit of Mauna Kea as a survival zone.

TMT is far from any cones, any sacred areas, several hundred yards from the most sensitive cultural site. If there is this real outrage over the desecration of Mauna Kea, then it should be towards Subaru, Keck and UHH for their sins of the past. TMT is only visible to 15% of the island from ground, it will be in natural colors so almost cloaked, nothing is being endangered, all water is contained and separate from the environment. There should be more outrage at these phony ass protectors, they don't even know their own religion or history. It is a result of the missionaries forbidding and banning anything Hawaiian for 90 years in the school systems they set up. This legacy continues on.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Love this video, thought I would share. Its full of good info from the Hawaiian side of this issue atop our mauna. Hope others can take the time to watch and learn a different perspective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBWkUJxlDg
I hope the frisky feline is ok!
kimo, I do know what sarcasm is. Just wasn't sure which drama you were referring to! Glad you agree that ignoring attacks is best. I don't have a lot of stamina and all this has made me so tired. Maybe time for a vacation from PW; I'm not sure. I don't know if I'm contributing anything of value.

pahoated, I read that if it weren't for scientists discovering the bug, no one would know it was there. Now that it is known I think it's great that TMT has taken it into account. Interesting creature.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Good point beepbeep about the discovery and preservation of the wekiu.
The whole thing re: TMT is nuts. OHA and friends, why don't you just propose your price to settle?
But I wouldn't pay anything under these circumstances. Build the TMT, it's legal and needed.
Anyone else find it odd that the poor little wekiu bug has prospered so much since the telescopes were first built that it is no longer on the endangered species list?

If anyone is really worried about the wekiu bug, the answer to their continued prosperity is "BUILD MORE TELESCOPES"!

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/news/478.html

"The removal of the wekiu bug is based on the successful management of the summit of Mauna Kea on the island of Hawaii. Survey work resulted in more than doubling the number of sites where this species is found. The protection and monitoring of the wekiu bug provided through the management plans for Mauna Kea has precluded the need to list this species."

--------

But...but...the protestors say the summit ecology has been mismanaged?
The loud and proud racist, the pugilistic psychopath and the unfunny comedian who came back after nobody cared he left.
The anti-telescope elite are massing.

Remarkable how often you can pick the rational side of a debate by just observing the people on each side.
quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

Wow, What a Drama this is turning out to be.

What!... I mean the TMT !

Got bored of the TMT discussion about 500 posts ago. But, thoroughly enjoying the name-calling and drama. Golf face-punching! Ridiculing terminally ill pets and their grieving owners! It's like kindergarten all over again. Pass the popcorn!