Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP BIZ: Part the third
the "band together" thing would be impossible for HPPOA.

Which is exactly why I'm so disappointed in HPP: it has the population, demographics, and size necessary to form a township -- and even if incorporation fails, it would force several issues and get County to pay attention. WIth any luck, other subdivisions would join the bandwagon or be inspired to start their own process.

Puna continues to be shortchanged by an obsolete top-down one-size-fits-all governance model -- and "they" will keep getting away with it so long as the subdivisions continue to believe that each one of them is different and special, reinventing their own wheel because nobody else has these specific problems.

I have little hope for the upcoming mayoral election: whoever we elect will say nice things about Puna and then promptly forget that constituents live there.

Semi-related: anyone else notice how Chung's $100M bond issue mentions "Puna connectivity/emergency access" on the to-do list? I'm betting the most we get is fresh asphalt on the 8 Road PEAR -- new capacity being "far too expensive".

Hawaii ... living the scam.
" . . . necessary to form a township - - " - kalakoa

What's necessary to form a township, or any other form of municipality, in Hawaii is an act of the legislature. Such legislation for HPP was introduced several years ago by Faye Hanohano (of all people, IIRC), and it went nowhere because the Honolulu gang were terrified of the prospect of self governance movements springing up all over the place. Dream on. A class action suit by multiple subdivisions might be the only way, and HPP as the most populous would have to get its act together in a big way for that to go anywhere. Based on the tone and demeanor of the HPP "leaders" who scream at each other on Punaweb, all I can say, again, is "Dream on. '
A class action suit by multiple subdivisions might be the only way

Exactly my point -- might not get a township, but almost anything would be an improvement.
One state official once told me, and this applies on the county level as well, that the way they deal with Puna is to get everyone arguing and then simply walk away. First hand.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Wats this now we hear wat da other day. One of the road bois got canned due to bringing a pistol to hpp n’ aimin to another crew???? Dis another law suit goin happen???
Dis was told to us by a previous board member!!!