Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
The dead trees will decompose, putting nutrients back into the soil, which will help whatever new trees are growing in the area. We can do nothing and watch as Albizia, strawberry guava, and other invasives take over, or we can purposefully plant trees that will do well in our environment but not spread as rapidly as these other invasives.

I can tell you that for my three acres of paradise, I've planted numerous hardwoods that I got from Future Forests Nursery in Kona, not to mention many other diverse types of trees. The last thing I want is another monoculture that survives at the whims of what comes over on boats and airplanes.

I strongly encourage the rest of you to do your research as well - there are literally hundreds if not thousands of trees that would do extremely well in Puna without sprouting seeds everywhere, and without being risks to take out power lines every time there is a breeze.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Would anyone like to share thoughts on why our ohia is dying? The trees stop flowering and then they burn from top to bottom within a month. Could be vog? Geothermal? drought? Could it be from the fumigation and pesticides from this highly experimental GMO papaya comeback? Very sad to watch every day for the last 4 years, Has there been any research in the past with peoples death rate due to dying trees? I know our birds and bees sure have taken a hit since these trees have started to die. Could these trees dying have any links to the fish kills in Kapoho recently? Maybe ag runoff? or ?

They are allergic to Kenoi

jdo
jdo
UH researchers making advances in battle against rapid ohia death

http://www.hawaii.edu/news/2016/10/28/uh...hia-death/
Update on the ROD here.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/1...-convened/

The average mortality rate of 11% a year in the ROD infected areas paints a very scary picture of what much of Puna may look like in another 10 years.

P.S. The few Ohia trees around the Mcdonalds in "Waimea" should probably get tested for the ROD because they are showing possible early signs and could be cut down or covered before the spore spreading happens. jmo
gypsy69:

I'm sure it's all on the TMT.
Right?
a very scary picture of what much of Puna may look like in another 10 years

Yes, because we're going to have lots of "studies" and "research" while the watershed fails.

it's all on the TMT

Perhaps the "protectors" will win, and have a desert island all to themselves.
The few Ohia trees around the Mcdonalds in "Waimea" ... are showing possible early signs

The man who invented the Big Mac died this week.
Is the timing of his death and the impending death of ohia trees around a business selling his invention suspicious?
Related?
Or mere coincidence?
gypsy, please discuss amongst yourself.

“Rational people know what to expect. Irrational people know what to demand.” Last Aphorisms
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Mahalo HOTPE and Punaticbychoice, Your sarcasm and contributions are loud and clear. Obviously The TMT project or the inventor of the Big Mac did not cause the ROD, your Theories are interesting though.

The Rod was first noticed around the PGV power plant and nearby steam vents at the Lava Tree Park, now known to be the ROD's Ground Zero. The ROD then traveled up Helco's power line road in Leilani before jumping the highway in 2011. At the time of the ROD outbreak, The PGV plant and Leilani area were being heavily inundated by large amounts of gas and steam that was rising up from the ground almost daily. I tried to explain the unusual rains and gas on other PWeb threads back in 2013-14 here but most who had responded believed them to be natural phenomenons at the time.

Thankfully we had Hurricane Eselle show up and shed some light on to this leaking PGV production well. Probably just coincidences here HOTPE but Once the PGV stopped or plugged their leaking production well and were allowed to drill a new one, The gasses lifted, suspicious rains stopped and the ROD's spreading slowed down in this area. jmo

One of My first theories to the cause of the ROD was that the PGV plant may have been trying to enhance their steam and electricity production for a few years by adding certain chemicals to their vast amounts of water being used below. This combination may have led to many larger cracks in the porous ground below and possible leaks within their production well itself. This chemically laced steam or gas that escaped would then rise in the cool early morning hours before falling back onto the Ohia trees and ground by the unusual rains. Years later, This may have caused a layer in the area that may have allowed the mutation of the fungi to occur. Projects like the TMT's may have contributed to the need of increased geothermal production. jmo

Interesting article here regarding tree deaths, forest decline and acid rain.

http://www.forestecologynetwork.org/tree_death.html

This recent link about ROD is full of information, ways to help and prevent the spreading of ROD.

https://www.hawaiiecotourism.org/rapid-ohia-death/

Has there been any monthly or yearly satellite photos of the ROD's Ground Zero area? How can one access these possible photos "if" they exists?

edited to add links
coulda...woulda...shoulda...mighta...maybe...
Is the scientific method taught in Hawaii schools?