Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danger on Government Beach Road (HWY 137)
quote:
Originally posted by bananahead

you guys are funny, try living driving in the middle of Hawaiian Acres. The Government Rd between Honolulu Landing and 4 corners is in great shape and easily drivable for any car/truck at 25 miles an hour (they even recently took out a few of the humps too). My road you would bottom out at 3 miles an hour, try drive that daily... you never complain about that nice well kept road you have down there in WaaWaa.... no need to pave it, if you like pavement move to Hilo Smile aloha

C'mon Bananahead, did you not see that most of us want the road safe, not necessarily paved?

I've driven through sections of Hawaiian Acres, and heartily agree that some of your roads are really tough to drive. However, to state that ANY car/truck can easily drive the unpaved portion of Government Beach Road at 25 miles an hour isn't correct. Yes, the county did lower one of the blind hills a bit to make it safer. There are still plenty of places on the unpaved portion where due to little or no visibility from blind hills or narrow roadway, you must go slowly to avoid a potential head on with oncoming traffic.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
What's the best way to dispatch medevac from a remote jungle area?
By air, perhaps?

quote:
Originally posted by cwaters

If you want to set a good example to spread ideas, as your Ron Paul quote indicates, then stop relying on gossip and hear say. My only concern is to have a safe surface on our road, this does not necessary mean paving.

Which gossip are you talking about? I know many people who live off the waa waa and they have all told me they like it the way it is. As I said the only people who seem to want it paved are those with internet access.

@James I assume if you were a well to do older person who lived down the wawa maybe in a large house by the ocean, if you were seriously interested in getting to a hospital that medivac chopper would be the way.

@Wao nahele wahine Actually I don't care about the ambulance I know others do, I am young. I simply did not want to turn Coastal puna into a hwy in addition to Papio. As it is I am surrounded by traffic on all sides and its not the most pleasant and certainly dangerous for pets and walkers. Granted I live in a subdivision with CC&Rs so it is different then the waa waa. Why should the ATV's not be allowed down the waa waa? Who else should not be allowed? How do you plan to make the waa waa safe from oncoming traffic without hacking into the jungle, state forest, hawaiian burial ground and the general charm of the waa waa? It will be just as slow for an ambulance if it was a narrow ribbon of asphalt then it is now, in fact Im sure it is safer now as people wont speed as much on a rough gravel road. Try getting out of the way as the cars come down the pavement at 50 mph into a blind hill. Unless of course your intention is to widen and pave the entire trail?

Do you think we should build lots of mcmansions by the ocean as well? Maybe we can get the waa waa paved and turn it into a veritable real estate boom, gated community and all! It should be easy to sell the largest most obnoxious houses on the waa waa after its paved. I would hope that if that was someones interest they would come forward with that information instead of trying to sneak it in as friendly public health announcement. Manipulation and dishonesty don't do anyone any favors.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

@Wao nahele wahine Actually I don't care about the ambulance I know others do, I am young. I simply did not want to turn Coastal puna into a hwy in addition to Papio. As it is I am surrounded by traffic on all sides and its not the most pleasant and certainly dangerous for pets and walkers. Granted I live in a subdivision with CC&Rs so it is different then the waa waa. Why should the ATV's not be allowed down the waa waa? Who else should not be allowed? How do you plan to make the waa waa safe from oncoming traffic without hacking into the jungle, state forest, hawaiian burial ground and the general charm of the waa waa? It will be just as slow for an ambulance if it was a narrow ribbon of asphalt then it is now, in fact Im sure it is safer now as people wont speed as much on a rough gravel road. Try getting out of the way as the cars come down the pavement at 50 mph into a blind hill. Unless of course your intention is to widen and pave the entire trail?

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul

Wow...you really don't get it. I can tell you are young, cause it's evidently all about you. Get it through your head...I haven't advocated paving, I have advocated safety. No one is advocating hacking into the jungle or burial sites. You don't want cars on your road, but I'm not allowed to have an opinion about having ATV's tear up my road? Get real. At the blind hills and narrow parts of the road, people need to drive slower than the 25 mph that Bananahead suggested. I thought that was pretty clear. The ATV's do donuts in the road and tear it up. The ATV's need a designated place to ride their vehicles, not someone's neighborhood.

Keep making up stories in your head and posting them here about some of us down here wanting mcmansions and your other stuff. I'm sure you're keeping some people here entertained.

I see plenty of people still walking on Papio and Coastal Puna Pkwy without too much trouble.

The rain has stopped here, and I'm off to enjoy the day.

When you can respond rationally, let me know. Throwing out false assumptions as to what you think I want doesn't accomplish anything.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
quote:
Originally posted by Wao nahele wahine

Wow...you really don't get it. I can tell you are young, cause it's evidently all about you. Get it through your head...I haven't advocated paving, I have advocated safety. No one is advocating hacking into the jungle or burial sites. You don't want cars on your road, but I'm not allowed to have an opinion about having ATV's tear up my road? Get real. At the blind hills and narrow parts of the road, people need to drive slower than the 25 mph that Bananahead suggested. I thought that was pretty clear. The ATV's do donuts in the road and tear it up. The ATV's need a designated place to ride their vehicles, not someone's neighborhood.

Keep making up stories in your head and posting them here about some of us down here wanting mcmansions and your other stuff. I'm sure you're keeping some people here entertained.

I see plenty of people still walking on Papio and Coastal Puna Pkwy without too much trouble.

The rain has stopped here, and I'm off to enjoy the day.

When you can respond rationally, let me know. Throwing out false assumptions as to what you think I want doesn't accomplish anything.

Wahine

Getting a little hot under the collar I see. I should clarify that the large house and paved road comment was not directed at you, I do not know who you are. I don't mind the atv's on our roads, I don't mind traffic, its still there, just on two roads instead of the one. Unfortunately I don't think most of the atv users around here can afford to get to a dedicated atv park, no doubt they will just be kept off atvs in the end. If you have to drive slow because of the blind hills how is the ambulance going to get there any faster? Are you not aware of the political motivations of some in your neighborhood? Those that wish for their property values to go up with a paved road so they can sell out? Where do you think it all ends?

We are all getting older. I will be older one day and I wont pretend to be any less of an ass hole then I am now unlike some. The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

-Ron Paul
quote:

Afwjam, 3/4 of the neighbors in Waa Waa are against paving? Where did you find this figure? Some of my friends/neighbors in Waa Waa were against paving initially, but have now changed their minds.

Wahine

In this post you seem to indicate you and your neighbors are for paving. Which is it? Sad that you are going to take to attacking the children on their atv's, seriously they live here and not by choice. In some ways I would say they have more of a right to do burn outs on that trail then you do to walk on it. I see fathers taking their children on rides down the waa waa and I smile.

-Ron Paul
quote:
[i]Originally posted by afwjam

Getting a little hot under the collar I see. I should clarify that the large house and paved road comment was not directed at you, I do not know who you are. I don't mind the atv's on our roads, I don't mind traffic, its still there, just on two roads instead of the one. Unfortunately I don't think most of the atv users around here can afford to get to a dedicated atv park, no doubt they will just be kept off atvs in the end. If you have to drive slow because of the blind hills how is the ambulance going to get there any faster? Are you not aware of the political motivations of some in your neighborhood? Those that wish for their property values to go up with a paved road so they can sell out? Where do you think it all ends?

We are all getting older. I will be older one day and I wont pretend to be any less of an ass hole then I am now unlike some. The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

-Ron Paul
[/quote]

Nah...not hot under the collar here. That only happens when I'm working on the property in the sun. [Smile]

FWIW, I don't care for the speed bumps on Papio, either. Neither do any of my friends/neighbors in Waa Waa. That might be some small consolation to you.

I don't foresee property values soaring here anytime soon whether or not the road is paved. The economy isn't going to recover that quickly. In my opinion, large potholes on this road are the main thing that will significantly slow down an ambulance. I've heard of instances where an ambulance driver has refused to drive down the road. (I'm not sure if that is true.) I don't want to see anyone denied access to medical assistance here...that includes ATV riders. Trying to find a happy medium that will keep the most people in Waa Waa happy is the key. Is it possible? I have no idea.

Have you actually spoken to anyone in this neighborhood who wants paving and mcmansions? If you're going by what your friend says,that some people do, it's only hearsay at this point. Everyone I know who lives here, did so to get away from mcmansions and such.

And mahalo for admitting you're an asshole at times. We all have our dark sides on occasion.

Just had some neighbors drop by...now I'm really off of here for the day.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
quote:
Originally posted by james weatherford

What's the best way to dispatch medevac from a remote jungle area?
By air, perhaps?

Well James... Assuming the tree canopy permits such an extraction, perhaps, but then again such a request would need to be made by an emergency service responder. So medevac isn't very practical in this scenario. Unless it's known to be inaccessible by ground, it's highly unlikely an emergency responder will make such a request.

It may be time to simply write the State department of health to complain about the dust from the road as well as slow ambulance response times. For that matter, it may be time to write the State in general, governor’s office, etc. There are far too many people living in the Waa Waa subdivision, due east of it and far too many people using the road overall to upkeep it in basic gravel and frankly a waste of revenue. Ten or more years ago it was probably fine as a gravel road but those days have come and gone now. Why the county doesn't use chip-seal is beyond me, use of asphalt without proper shoulders or clearing back of trees and roots is a huge waste of public revenue as the asphalt will just be broken up by roots and erode along the shoulder. Chip-seal is the only rational answer for the situation, 1/10th the cost of asphalt, quick and cheap to repair with longevity to that of asphalt.
Just to clarify what I mean by "chip-seal" aka "tar and chip" applied over a compressed gravel base. The application can be done 5 to 10 times and be less than a single asphalt job, each time a layer is added, the road becomes thicker. The method shouldn't be confused with sealing an asphalt road though similar in application, not so similar in aggregate sizes used.
http://gormanpaving.com/tar_chip_paving.php

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

quote:

Afwjam, 3/4 of the neighbors in Waa Waa are against paving? Where did you find this figure? Some of my friends/neighbors in Waa Waa were against paving initially, but have now changed their minds.

Wahine

In this post you seem to indicate you and your neighbors are for paving. Which is it? Sad that you are going to take to attacking the children on their atv's, seriously they live here and not by choice. In some ways I would say they have more of a right to do burn outs on that trail then you do to walk on it. I see fathers taking their children on rides down the waa waa and I smile.

-Ron Paul

Now I'm attacking children?! Get off the crackpipe! LOL!

For the last time, it's a road and not a trail, and I drive it safely in my vehicle. I'm sure the fathers with children in their laps aren't the ones doing the donuts in the road. Hope you also smile at the drivers who now take Coastal Puna Pkwy to avoid the speed bumps.

As I stated earlier, kiddo, some of the people here are changing their minds from maintained gravel to paving due to the county's poor maintenance of the gravel road. Personally, I'm still hoping that the county can maintain it properly without paving.

You have grown quite tiresome with your false assumptions about some people who live in Waa Waa, and their supposed 'political agendas'. I've made my stance known about the road, and this thread is rapidly becoming the equivalent of beating a dead horse.

Ed. for a typo

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
ATV's are for off road use. The police come down when called because ATV's are not supposed to be used on this road. I have had an ATV hit me head on coming over a hill on this road. It was not a child thank goodness, but an older large man.
You really have trouble with facts, and you seem to want to push a class warfare agenda, grow up.