Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kaumana Killing- Don't look around house unarmed!
afwjam, I have to slightly disagree about a dog not protecting you from your suppose to be loved ones. Not every dog will but I had one that placed himself between me and physical abuse... I am in a different relationship than that one now, one that has lasted 25 yrs! In fact we came to the Big Island for 6 weeks in the depth of Alaska winter this past year for the first time to celebrate those years together! The island and that 6 weeks now holds a special place in our hearts and memories, and it inspired us to work on a change of location! We hoped it would be Hawaii but after much thought and listening to punawebbers we decided it was not the right decision for location - we still stick by our inspiration to move off of this tiny island of 36 miles of road though!

Back to the protection of a furry best friend, we now own a 5# poodle who is our world. She does not like us to touch each other let alone be violent ;D I suspect it has more to do with narcissism though than protection Smile
islandgirl
"The violence is deep rooted in modern society, most carried out by government. Obama murdered 163 children in Pakistan and Yemen last year with drones, he shed no tears for them. Live Aloha and find a way to get away from our societies institutionalized violence. Love, compassion and tolerance are the only way forward."

afwjam ... This is where most sensible people start humming their favorite song in their heads.

We don't all have, nor want shotguns ... " Racking " is so hollywood / NRA .... Door slam + bump keeps them guessing + drives off non-humans too.

Dog is already there without mention as eveyone knows this.

That is the intolerance I am talking about, even when the facts are readily available. Protection from government is why we have the second amendment. So far Obama has only assassinated a couple US citizens without trial, however our government is willing to kill millions as can be seen in the middle east, the children in Iraq in the 90's never had a chance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM0uvgHKZe8

I don't think everyone should have a gun and for sure not if you feel uncomfortable with them. I think a dog is actually better for most. If you do end up calling the cops, put your dog in a kennel in a back room, dogs make them nervous and they may shoot them.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
"Protection from government is why we have the second amendment."

Hardly. One of the earliest acts of the fledgling federal government in 1794 was having George Washington lead the presumably well-regulated militias of Pennsylvania and New Jersey to suppress the Whiskey Rebellion in western Ohio. Suppressing insurrection (presumably by citizens) is one of the enumerated functions of the federal government.

Frankly, I'm happy that Hawaii has the strict regulation of firearms that it does.
So, what is the story here? Wasn't the original report the wife heard a knock at the door, didn't see anyone, so the husband then went outside when he was stabbed in the back? So, the mistress has been released now. Sounds like the wife did it?

"It was a majority decision to descend into the Dark Ages. Don't worry, be happy, bang on da drum all day!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*

Hey, the dude that walks around with a baseball bat might be carrying it for dog protection. I am considering doing that myself. My daughter was attacked and bit by a dog down the street when rding my bicycle. I was chased by four dogs at the same time while riding the same bike in another area of HPP. I'm not worried about being attacked by a two legged animal, but the four legged ones I am.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
TomK,
What is this I'm seeing about stun guns being imported into the UK? They can be had up to 1 million volts.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

afwjam,

The definition of violent crime in the UK is much broader than that of the US.
As I'm sure you knew - or the NRA website you copied it from. The definition
of murder is the same - you have 20 murders in the USA for every 1 in the UK
(a rate 4x as high). A glance in any US newspaper over the past few weeks
will tell you why.

I don't know the details of this case but it looks to be the usual - spouse on
spouse violence. The idea that everyone needs a shotgun to protect against this
paranoid fantasy that people are waiting to bust down your door is ridiculous.
Remember, any gun in the house is more likely to be used against you or yours than
a stranger. If that's okay with you then go for it.

If all it takes is the sound of a shotgun being "racked" to scare off the bogeyman
then I'm sure there's an app for that. The GunApp comes close. No chance of someone
stealing that and using it to kill children or policemen.

"Did you guys know that more people are murdered with hammers then with all rifles"

That's an interesting statement - and not just for your inability to spell "than".
In order to distort reality, you severely restrict one side of the equation while
expanding the other (it's actually hammers and blunt objects). Here's a quote for you:

Now, while rifles account for only a few hundred homicides every year, guns overall are responsible for many, many more murders � almost all of them. If you add up all the other methods used to kill people in 2011 (fire, drowning, poison, strangling, hammers, etc.), you get 4,081 non-gun homicides. That�s fewer than half of the 8,583 gun homicides. Guns killed more than 17 times more people than hammers and are responsible for nearly 70 percent of total murders. There�s a reason you don�t hear about mass hammering sprees.

taken from the Center of Disease Control site ( http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statisti...mortality/ ) "More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined." buy them with our governments Blessing....gun control because we are humanitarian??? what ah joke
more info to throw into the mix...population of UK estimated at 62.3 million...population for the US estimated at 312.8 million for the same year...on a percentage bases, murders are about the same?? i think
Let's keep this discussion Hawaii/Puna related please.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator