Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa shipment story
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

Ah yes, it is in the Constitution:

"To establish Post Offices and post Roads"

Where does it specify a monopoly? Where does it say competition would be bad?

Many countries like Germany, Netherlands, Japan and more are pursuing paths of postal liberalization and privatization with great results. Fact is, the USPS is failing and sticking to the status quo will not work. The Constitution does not prohibit private mail, it just gives Congress permission to run its own postal system, which it is failing at.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul

I would check out the shipping rates in Germany before you define it as a "great result".
http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/qsg300/Q608.pdf

Private Express Statutes.

Unless you can officially claim any of the exemptions as listed, it is technically illegal to send any letter other than the U.S. Mail!

Well if its so expensive the USPS should have no problem competing.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
quote:
Originally posted by afwjam

Well if its so expensive the USPS should have no problem competing.

-Ron Paul

As far as I know, nobody has requested to "move in" on the business that will come to your house on one side of the country, pick up a correspondence, and then deliver to a house on the other side of the country in 3-5 days for only 46 cents (Puna excluded). And it's not like they are eating away at tax revenue.

I remember when the UPS strike happened all the other "for profit" companies like DHL and FedEx wouldn't accept any shipments unless you were a pre-existing customer with a billing account already setup through them but the postal service was able to move all those additional envelopes and packages (because they are required to) so medicines got delivered, people got paid on time etc.

I'm all for free enterprise and capitalism but I couldn't afford to get anything shipped to me here in Hawaii if UPS and FedEx etc were the only carriers. Things here are expensive enough- lets leave the USPS alone. OK, I take that back, they definitely need reform. But let's reform in the direction that keep our prices low.
I was in Memphis TN in December and FED EX planes were taking off one right after another all day, seriously every few minutes. I was amazed at the sheer number of them. Almost all were big jets too with just a few smaller ones. Hundreds that day for sure. I wondered what was on those planes and where they were going.[8D]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
quote:
Originally posted by Wuzzerdad

I was in Memphis TN in December and FED EX planes were taking off one right after another all day, seriously every few minutes. I was amazed at the sheer number of them. Almost all were big jets too with just a few smaller ones. Hundreds that day for sure. I wondered what was on those planes and where they were going.[8D]

Mahalo
Rick

I don't know if it's still true but at one time FedEx was the largest airline in the world (all the mergers may have set them back a few pegs).