Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hwy 130 speed limit drop
Everyone (myself included) is overthinking this.

Lower speed limit means that tickets for the same speed will be higher, because that speed is now magically "more" over the limit.

More frustrated drivers making more illegal moves? More tickets.

Better solution? Allow growth in Puna so everything doesn't require a Trip To Hilo.
Puna Community Development Plan, as amended November 2010:

“While the County does not have control over State Highways 11 and 130, the Puna Community Development Plan urges DOT to integrate multi-modal travel, emphasize safety and traffic calming over efficient travel speed, and incorporate aesthetic features into the design and improvement of highways.” page 4-7

“4.4.2 Objectives
a. Make intersection improvements along highways that allow safer access from intersecting streets as a priority over traffic speed on the highway, giving preference to the use of roundabouts.” page 4-7

“4.4.3 Actions
All the following are recommendations to DOT.
a. Short Term (2008-2012)
Make interim intersection improvements on Highways 11 and 130;
Reduce speed limit on Highway 130 to 45 mph between the Keaau bypass and Ainaloa Boulevard;…” page 4-8
People driving at 45MPH will make it much more dangerous to all those people who drive 65.

Thanks Russell! No fooling. We'll eventually find out whether this works or not, but in any case you are to be commended for trying something to ease the carnage on this highway. I don't know of a highway in the country that has a 55 limit without on and off ramps or merge lanes.

Do I get the feeling that some people here seriously feel that raising the speed limit to 65 or so would be a safer alternative? (Statistics prove....[Big Grin])

Anyway I would ask all the self important, leave at the last minute, tailgaters out there to relax and give yourselves a few minutes head start. If HWY 130 don't kill you, the stress will!
quote:
Originally posted by jlgerk

Lowering the speed by 10 mph for a 3 mile strech ?
Do you need to be in Hilo 2 minutes faster ??

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jlgerk

nice bit of thought...now if we can get a light at paridise or makuu we might attain bliss on 130...
DOT defines "freeway" as having "controlled access"; a "highway" does not.

Neither term indicates a minimum and/or maximum speed.

The only freeways in Hawaii are on Oahu, but the Federal gas tax for those freeways is statewide.
That will work. /s
The only folks upset with this are the ones who are always late and are the most likely to be the first ones whining about why the state hasn't done more to protect motorists when there is an accident. This has been discussed so many times at community meetings and the majority of the voices have asked for a speed reduction.

Is it really worth having someone killed or seriously hurt just so others can get to their destination 5 minutes faster?

If the speed is your thing, move to where the real freeways are.

If only we didn't have to Drive To Hilo for everything...
Look how slow Pele moves, and she makes her way around the whole island - - no problem. And if you see her coming up behind you, your're gonna complain she's tailgating at that speed.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by hotinhawaii

rainshadow, read the links I posted above. Intuition is not always correct. In fact, raising speed limits can lower accident rates by reducing congestion. And most accidents on highways are caused by people going under the average speed not above.

I have to disagree with you on this. The accidents I hear about are caused by people pulling onto the highway or crossing the traffic. I've heard about many t-bone wrecks. Yes, there are tail-gaiters...always will be and they contribute to rear-end collisions.
I for one am not a tail-gaiter, never will be, but that leads to hazards too because many times when I try to leave a safe distance between my car and the one in front of me, a driver will take a nervy risk and pull out in that gap. No matter what...it is savvy, sane drivers that keep the roads safe!

About the slower speed? It's a start until that highway gets widened. It seems, frontage roads would help all the driveways that join the highway. And how about stop lights at Paradise, Orchidland and Ainaloa?

I'm not a commuter and the slower speed will not affect me so take my suggestions with "a grain of salt"...toss it in the wind.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.