Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washer Dryer Recommendations
One reason I would caution on the outside vs inside is the salt spray...we are over 3 miles from the ocean & on the windward side of our house we have much more corrosion (even "lifetime" warranty door handles are pitted on that side only)

That and UV will do a number on any seals, plastic & such...
I have LG frontloaders at my rental, and they are outside. They seem fine.
The reason I would not leave any modern washer outside is the corrosion on the circuit boards. Switches and mechanical timers hold up to the elements way better then IC chips on a circuit board. And you know when the circuit board goes it will be so expensive to repair it that you will just throw it out and buy another $500 washer.
My four and a half year old Kenmore front loader just had its third computer chip crap out. It's a $250+ repair job every time, and the thing has rusted faster than a Yugo car in road salt country, so I'm done with it. I went in Sears and told the salesman that this had happened, and he asked if I lived in Puna! I said yes, and he said it wasn't the salt air, but the ants eating the silicon on the chips. Forgive me if I'm skeptical on that, but he did show me the one and only model available that has not computer chip. It is a GE model GTWN2800DWW. Anybody know anything about that? On-line ratings average 3.8 out of 5 stars, but this is a different world here.
Interesting how much trouble people are having.

I donÔt live in Puna, but I am less than 1/2 mile of open ground from the ocean, and things do rust outside.

I donÔt care much for stacked W/D, except I had the Maytag version at my last house (and it was outside on a covered porch), and come to think of it the board did go out. Great little machine though, front-loader.

I donÔt like top loaders because they rub and pull the clothes and linens and wear them out much sooner.

Recommended model -- my current house came with a set of LG TROMM models, and I am happy to say they are eight years old at this point and have NEVER required a single repair though I use them a lot. I hate to say that in case I jinx them. IÔm amazed the washer hasnÔt needed repair.

One option for a warranty is to get a home warranty that covers appliances. In fact I think there is one now that is for appliances only. For my Hilo house, I had not great appliance luck and used that warranty for the frig (new compressor), the dishwasher, the stove, and the washer/dryer. $50 or so flat fee for a service call and parts or replacement covered. I have it on my list to get coverage like that again.
A bit off topic of the OP, but I see that was a while ago...

We are off grid and still do laundry at the laundry mat. Am slowly getting a hand wash system together at home as an alternative. Anyway, one gizmo that I am very impressed with is the Nina Soft Spin dryer. Line drying is sometimes almost impossible in this climate for days at a time, but this little guy really does the trick of spinning out most of the moisture (still needs air drying), is quiet, and only uses a couple hundred watts.

FWIW:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-Altern...B00CDWTQKI
http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/nina_spin-dryer.html

There are the obligatory youtube videos as well.

Cheers,
Kirt
If you get a dryer, seriously go for propane....
I only need a washer, microage, but you do have a point. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what the salesman at Sears said about Puna. Has anyone ever heard of ants or bugs eating the silicon off the computer chips in appliances?
More likely eating the glues and resins thereby compromising the insulation of the electronics.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
My suggestion would be to watch craigslist for a cheap used washer. It might not be the newest or have all the fancy options and computer circuits, but if you find a cheap one and it only works for a while or want to keep it outside, at least you aren't out a lot of money... plus, you are giving extra life to something that might otherwise end of in the landfill (or on the side of the road)!