Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does"unpermitted" mean for a home buyer?
We put an offer in on a house. It was permitted. The real estate description was: totally permitted. The mortgage broker pulled the permits and determined that 1/2 the structure wasn't permitted, therefore the bank wouldn't issue a loan. Our only options were, come up with 100% cash or walk away. They would not issue a loan based on the permitted value and allow us to self-finance the rest.

My advice is, hybrid structures are the worst of the worst. If any part is unpermitted, the bank will not issue a loan until EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED. This doesn't mean just the house- also pools, cesspools, water or solar systems, etc. At least when buying "vacant land" with a structure, it is understood at the beginning that it will never qualify for a mortgage or insurance. Hybrid structures may have qualified for financing or insurance before their additions... but do not any longer.

BUYER BEWARE.
" because having the paperwork is far more important"

Too true, when I sold a house seven years ago the mortgage company wanted a letter stating everything was legal, permitted etc, structure wise. The day will come when you will not be able to transfer property without such a letter. The hand writing is on the wall, we live in a command and control society, and jerking people around is what government loves to do.
The Government sells kuliana's and then forces the people to patronize them. Then they can tax and control the kuliana holders. If you want to transfer your property you will need to pay the licensed pipers.
Looking at that house specifically that you listed, sputnut, it looks like a HPM kit house from back in the day with 3/1 and that roof line. (they did 3/1's then instead of 3/2's).

If it was me, eventually I would probably eliminate that extra bath and laundry room and have plans and permits drawn for a new bath & laundry, and not even dink with those 2 crappy pieces. It would not be worth the money for permitting and the work to bring them in line and the cost to make them attractive. Maybe make them pretty with paint and some cleaning but eventually before you go to sell it someday, get rid of them and redo them. I bet the "flow" of the house doesnt work with those two items and you would want them placed differently too.

It will take some basic sweat equity to get it cleaned up and livable, and the yard looking nice, too.

A home inspector would be a wise investment.

My two cents for what it is worth.
Why was it not permitted? What slack jawed yokel goes to the trouble of building a home and doesnt follow through on the permits? I would be very skeptical of the construction quality. I would hire the most critical home inspector I could fnd. YMMV
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
maud, an inspector might tell you that something needs to be changed to bring it up to code. Things aren't so much a violation but usually a mistake that has to be fixed. And it's always about money. The homeowner feels like the inspector is bustin his chops but he's really just doing his job. They're doing you a favor if they tell you what needs to be fixed because that's not really their job description. It's up to you and/or your contractor to build it right. In reality if they wanted to they could just say it didn't pass and not tell you why. But they have to give you the notice which states what needs to be done. It behooves you to realize this and just let them do their inspections and wait for the Notice slip. Some inspectors don't like to answer any questions. They just site the "code violations" on the inspection notice and you go...O.K. I'll fix it.
On not following through...Its always about the money. Inspectors know this. If you don't finish it.Oh well SOL. (sorry out of Luck)
Hopefully you keep all the inspection records. You can always resume inspections when you're ready. I don't think they have put a statute of limitations on permits to be finaled yet. but there is a reasonable expectation that you will finish in a year but as of late I don't think they're holding anyone to it. I took over 4 years to get my house finaled.
Lastly, You could just go solar, assume the risk, turn on your cloaking device and fade into the jungle unpermitted. Just don't ever plan to sell.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
quote:
Originally posted by PauHana

" because having the paperwork is far more important"

Too true, when I sold a house seven years ago the mortgage company wanted a letter stating everything was legal, permitted etc, structure wise. The day will come when you will not be able to transfer property without such a letter. The hand writing is on the wall, we live in a command and control society, and jerking people around is what government loves to do.
The Government sells kuliana's and then forces the people to patronize them. Then they can tax and control the kuliana holders. If you want to transfer your property you will need to pay the licensed pipers.

The house we bought last year, fully permitted, the bank required a letter from a licensed contractor that agreed with the engineer's report. I had NEVER heard of such an absurd requirement before. Neither had the engineer. Fortunately he knew a licensed contractor who just rubber stamped it and didn't charge us anything.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

Fortunately he knew a licensed contractor who just rubber stamped it and didn't charge us anything.

This! I've heard there are "finaled" houses with a "septic system" consisting of "black pipe into a lava fissure" -- all the "right paperwork" is on file with County, so the buyer would qualify for bank financing, despite the completely illegal "waste disposal system".

I think the Newspeak conjugation goes something like this:

I am "grandfathered".
You are "compliant".
They "do not have legal habitation".
seems hard to believe some one would take that risk - last I knew septic had to be signed off by an engineer
Risk for whom? If the house is finaled, who's to say it's not "legal"?

I've seen 20-year-old "temporary" power. People living in tents, sometimes for years.

This is why I don't put much faith in "permits" out in the country. Downtown, sure.
The schmuck with the PE designation that lied to county - septic a process carried out by the engineer - not the contractor who digs he hole