Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kahauale'a II flow moving toward Pahoa again.
The best map I've found with solid fact based predictions of where the lava would flow is from an excellent scientific analysis of the hazards done by USGS. The topography hasn't changed since this report, "Lava Flow Hazard Assessment, as of August 2007, for K#299;lauea East Rift Zone Eruptions, Hawai‘i Island" was issued.

It is at this link: http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1264/

There is a simpler map at this link: http://archives.starbulletin.com/2007/09...ory01.html

Carol

edited to add second link
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Greg, the map you are talking about is in the video. I was looking for it too. This was a great presentation that night and I'm very pleased to see USGS give us access to this video.

He who hoots with owls at night cannot soar with the eagles in the morning.
Mahalo to MarkP, Carole and nana valley for your very quick and useful responses. I was able to do a screen capture of the map from the video. It's of particular interest to my brother-in-law who lives in HPP.

I read somewhere that the last deflation event stopped (temporarily?) the advance of the existing flow front and that the new breakout region is back up the mountain at about 3.5 miles from Pu'u O'o.

Thanks again.

Greg
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/maps/uploads/image-76.jpg

The new Pic Dated 1/24

My concern is that none of the lava is being shifted to the south like it was on the last flows. All this lava is heading towards (what looks like to me) Ainaloa and HPP. It's now almost just as far EAST as it was on the last flow. Probably moving a lot slower. But it's the furthest North it's been in a while. I'd be somewhat worried if I were living in Ainaloa even Hawaiian Acres the back of the lots if it really starts pushing North.

Maybe the rain will slow it down? At least it will take away the threat of a forest fire. It's really dumping a lot of rain this morning at least in the lower puna side.

Tho, if it happens to keep chumming along for another 6-8 months it will more than likely cut off 130 and we'll all be screwed anyway. Well, most of us ... the people that have jobs or school in Hilo.
I think I'm noticing a lot more houses in Pahoa coming on the market.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
looking at the usgs map - lots of recent flows (last 100years) where its headed.

Looks like past spillovers would come out a ways and then make a "right turn" and drop down to the ocean

meanwhile some of the lava zone 3's look to be lava zone 2.5......
Bullwinkle, but the problem is the Last Flows have built UP, it's not like water that will take away. Lava will Build up an area. There for it won't usually take that same path. But one really has to look at the low spots ... Once filled it will be the new high spot.
Opihikao: mahalo for the link, it's an incredibly interesting presentation. It's a good time to review insurance policies and to be prepared, even if it's likely that this flow will dry up and a new breakout will occur in a different direction.
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

I think I'm noticing a lot more houses in Pahoa coming on the market.

I don't know if you meant this as humor, but I'm laughing. I consider it to be exciting to live in a "kipuka" called lower Puna one day!

nana valley,
No, not humor, just something interesting I've seen. A lower Puna kipuka could be pretty big!
Puna: Our roosters crow first