Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you ride ?
For me...

I bought a Toyota Echo on Oahu for 3500 with 75K miles on it. Almost got 100K now... Built like a tank and gets 44MPG consistently. I've taken it from Fern Forest, Hawaiian Acres to numerous unpaved roads -goes just about anywhere and hauls all my stuff from HD and Costco. There have only been a handful of times I wish I had truck.

Tho if I had to have a truck a tacoma would fit the bill as a second vehicle. At 4 bucks + a gallon I kinda enjoy pulling up to the pump. Knowing that for my 10 gallons I'm gonna get around 450 miles out of it.

That's over 20 trips to Hilo from Hawaiian Beaches on one tank of gas.
Normally I drive 4 times a week so that's 2.5 weeks before I gotta refill.
Oink, Do yourself a favor and leave that truck behind. Living in Florida has exposed it to humidity and salt.When you bring it here the very corrosive Hawaiian air will attack tiny, almost microscopic pukas that the Florida air started.

It will dissolve before your eyes.

Fly to Arizona,buy a vehicle and have it shipped or buy new !
Kawasaki KLR 650. Single cylinder 55 mpg and slow. Very ugly and to heavy in the real tight muddy stuff, but generally tractors across most island terrain. Can fix with a hammer in the Home Depot parking lot if need.
While I have tried to buy locally as often as possible, when it comes to vehicles I have purchased several vehicles the desert southwest (TX, NM, AZ, SoCal), and shipped them here. Each time the savings vs buying locally more than paid for the shipping and my travel expenses to check out the vehicles and drive them to Matson in Long Beach. Not to mention no rust or other climate issues.
So I skipped the 01 Acura MDX, because when I got it on the lift I noticed rear engine gasket leaks.

I ended up shoppping for days and finally bought a 2011 Acura RDX All Wheel Drive.

It was more expensive but it only has 6,000 miles on it, and has a 7 year 100k mile certified warranty on it which they said I could take to Honda on the Big Island since there is no Acura.

At least I can have no worries for 7 years !