Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3.5 quake below Mauna Loa tonight
There are several changes going on. Remember, Pu'u O'o is considered a vent of Kilauea. The north vent on the Pu'u O'o crater floor that was feeding the K2 flow is covering itself over, decreasing the flow. However, the USGS is still seeing K2 flow and the south vent appears to be feeding it. The front of the forest fire has definitely shifted to the south. If this flow kept going with this slight angular shift, it would clip through the north end of Pahoa. But it does look like the overall flow is slowing, so it may stall. However, if this appears to be blockage for Kilauea, then pressure is going to build there.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

UM yes, bluesboy- all the data I've been posting about is directly off of the HVO website! I am asking for some analysis. I've been watching it for awhile and have never seen so many earthquakes. If this is the norm, then ok. Maybe it is. Anyone else have an opinion? Thanks

hey unknown! imo the unusualness of the current elevated earthquake count is within the range of 'normal' cycles of activity here. as in.. over the years.. we have periods of elevated activity of a similar, lesser, or greater magnitude. but heightened activity none-the-less.

what does it mean? well that's the greatest part of the story... they.. we.. you and I... don't always know! and hey we get the treat of being a part of the whole experience of contemplating it. which I find very satisfying in itself.

ok.. so what are the possibilities?

when we consider that the locus of activity is in the area if the summit eruption, and that in itself is a vent that opened up only a few years ago.. and continues to grow..

and that there is an extended DI event in progress at the moment, i.e. by inference the magma that is just below the surface is in a state of change from the assumed regular unimpeded transport of magma through the summit down to the eruption site on the east rift..

and that this change.. again inferred.. represents some diminishing of the pressures that are associated with this activity.. so as to have this long period of deflation of the summit..

and! this is the kicker.. the vents at puu oo.. which is also recording the long term deflation.. are still active.. i.e. showing signs of eruptive activity.. and further transport of the shallow magma towards the still flowing lava flow..

and that the associated earthquake swarm which by hvo's report has some very intriguing aspects to it..

yeah it's a mystery!

and then maybe the idea that I put forth above that there is a lessening of the pressures within the summit (as inferred by the deflation) is wrong (as suggested by the ongoing nature of the east rift eruption) and the deflation is really inflationary tilt associated with the location of the pressure within the summit region having moved?

as I said aint it cool that we get the treat of being a part of the whole experience of contemplating it! and with the net and hvo's use of it to provide us with the info that they do it's one way fun ride! imo
The flow front has advanced more. I am not sure it's blocked. They should come out with an updated map today or tomorrow.
Aren't many of the many local smallish quakes just the result of magma moving underground?

We live on the expanding part - ridge of the plate

These quakes dont feel anything like the slip / strike faults on the other side of the tectonic plate where it gets pushed (subduction) back under - creating the Sierra's (and much more) in the process...

quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

Aren't many of the many local smallish quakes just the result of magma moving underground?

We live on the expanding part - ridge of the plate

These quakes dont feel anything like the slip / strike faults on the other side of the tectonic plate where it gets pushed (subduction) back under - creating the Sierra's (and much more) in the process...

This island is still relatively new, so there are always settling quakes. These can be fairly large and frequent but they are happening in different locations around the island and at different depths. If there are several minor but deep quakes directly under the active crater of a volcano in a short period of time, then that can be an indicator of pressure building.

"This island Hawaii on this island Earth"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
How nice that my small post generated this discussion. [Smile]

I do follow the USGS updates and have for years, but I am definitely in the group that is wondering what the surprise might be, if any.

I posted about the Mauna Loa quake because with all the USGS notifications I get for quakes, for over a decade, very few have been from that area. No doubt there have been many small ones. Very few are from Hualalai summit either (yesterday).

Most are from Kilauea. Settling quakes are, I believe, mostly off shore, and those are the ones that tend to rock and roll things around here. The quake of 2006 that caused so much damage in the northwest of the island was a large settling quake.
Bullwinkle - just to quickly correct what you wrote. We're not on an expanding part of the plate. We're on a hot spot and right in the middle of the Pacific tectonic plate. You might be thinking of the mid-Atlantic ridge where plates are separating, but that's not the case for Hawaii.
UH Dept of Volcanology says there will be several hundred quakes leading up to an eruption. Just sayin...
Yep. Nice to know it won't catch everyone by surprise.
Anybody have a giant "Tum's" or "Rolaid's" to give her?

Are you a human being, or a human doing?