Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Fire Ant Treatment
I think the LFA is a bigger risk to pets than the Tango mixture is. It is designed to work on the reproductive cycle of the ants and isn't really a poison. It is also a pretty small portion of the mix. Thinking about body mass an effective dose for an ant shouldn't do anything to larger animals. Considering you spread less than 1/2 gallon over an acre a pet would need to really work at getting very much. But then again, I will occasionally eat a GMO.

Jay
Jay
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

Hey there, can anyone tell me if they're using the tango recipe with pets in their yard? Mindful just posted the mix with Tango and xantham gum and peanut butter. Is the trick to keep it out of the reach of dogs and only spray up in the trees? I'm pretty sure if I mad a mixture like that and sprayed it around the yard, I'd see my dogs licking it off the leaves.

Is there a way that you could apply it high enough so that your dogs couldn't reach it? It does say on the pdf sheet not to spray around people or animals, and spray downwind so it will not spray back on you during application. The gel is supposed to stick better and not wash away as easily as the granular form.

Best wishes
Best wishes
I finally broke down and bought some tango etc. Because we have a largish property I don't know if a hand sprayer is practical. Can anybody recommend a power option that can shoot the tango up the trees? I remember seeing something on the state ant page once but I can't find it now.
My neighbor has the worst reaction I've ever seen. He looks like he's got measles, and it's not going away. 3 days so far.
I'm really glad for all the info shared on this thread. I'll pass it along. Mahalo everybody.
I called and searched around but cannot find a supplier of Tango. Can anyone help me find the name, phone or URL of a local or bulk supplier of the stuff?

aloha
aloha
I bought a small container at Garden Exchange, $65.00 or so. I use a 1.5 gallon sprayer but the basic mix, including a couple of spoons of Tango, is just a few cups that will do most of an acre lot. You are really just flinging small globs of the mix. Imagine kind of thin mayo.

Jay
Jay
You could use a pressurized tank and sprayer, but I've seen lots of people recommend a super soaker or something similar. You'd just need to clean it out between uses so that nothing would get clogged.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
http://littlefireants.com/
Read thru the documents that are in the above link. Very good info.

Lots of places sell Tango. Best bet though is:
Farm Supply Cooperative - 60 Holomua St Hilo, 969-7474

They have multiple sizes to choose from.
quote:
Originally posted by Malapuaao

I called and searched around but cannot find a supplier of Tango. Can anyone help me find the name, phone or URL of a local or bulk supplier of the stuff?

aloha

I bought mine at Pahoa Feed. $51.99.

edited to add 99 cents
I just had the second treatment with Zach (KFA or kill fire ants) Very pleased with the results.
I looked into making the bait myself but just didn't want to hassle with it and store the stuff.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.