Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone been keeping track of the lava flow?
lo-ka-hi quote;
"the link for the DLNR you posted is not the ruling, it's just the Land Agent's recommendation for the BLNR Board Meeting for the August 8th Agenda. That meeting was cancelled and rescheduled for August 22nd, http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/meetings/blnr-meetings-2014/ - it'll be interesting to see what the BLNR decided."

I thought it was a done deal. Are you sure? I guess I will call on Monday to find out what it all means.

This is why she wants to destroy us. Too many hijacked threads.
ok. then back to the lava flow.....what is the prediction here? is it going to 'cut off pahoa'? flow into HPP? or ??? even the aerial photos don't really show me how close they are to anything. i live on F&2 HA and see the glow but i am under the impression that i am uphill from it. who is in its way?

#10048;
#10048;
If you look at google maps using the terrain layer on the map view (not satellite view) you can see the landscape much better. The lava is flowing into one of many parallel cracks that are part of the actual rift (the rift is easily identified by all the cones and craters that run all the way down to Kapoho) the cracks run in pretty straight lines to Highway 130 just above Leilani, but of course we have no idea what the underground "plumbing system" of the rift zone is like, so who knows where the lava could pop back out and run above ground.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Where is that alternate route again?
"Where is that alternate route again?"

If lavalava doesn't live here, vote here, pay taxes here or own property here I don't see why lavalava is so concerned with how Hawaii county does business.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Who cares what concerns me Carol. I wonder if a lack of an emergency exit for Puna Makai concerns you?
"Who cares what concerns me Carol." Because you are constantly sticking your comments into every thread that concerns those of us who live, vote, pay taxes and own property in Puna without any evidence of knowing anything at all about this place.

Carol
Carol

Polish Proverb
quote:
Originally posted by birchl

ok. then back to the lava flow.....what is the prediction here? is it going to 'cut off pahoa'? flow into HPP? or ??? even the aerial photos don't really show me how close they are to anything. i live on F&2 HA and see the glow but i am under the impression that i am uphill from it. who is in its way?

I think the most likely scenario is that this flow dries up before it causes any havoc, but it's quite unpredictable. If you look up some of the old stories about Pele, she comes across as very easy to cross and quick to anger, which I think is to show how unpredictable the volcano can be.

If this flow continues and if it continues following the crack, it should eventually cross somewhere along the Pahoa-Kalapana road - whether under ground in an old lava tube or on the surface is another question.

Mimosa gave a good description of the area in a previous post in this thread that I think is well worth a read and thought. Also check the maps from the USGS as they have elevation contour lines that can be somewhat instructive (but only if you zoom in on the picture to full size)
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
So, the new report is out this morning and it is a bit perplexing. The lava flow is still going into the crack, and going to where it went yesterday, and then it is undetectable. I suppose it has gone deeper? Anyone have some insight?