Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burglaries
Many of the game cameras run on battery. I know one manufacturer also seems a small solar panel power station for their game cameras. Pm me if you want the manufacturer and model I use (game cam with still, video, battery and solar pack) My batteries last about four months set on hi resolution stills on motion detecting mode. Very small and comes camo painted. I think they have a newer model that can email you a photo if you activate it with AT&T. Entire setup was much less expensive than I had anticipated.

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *
Nothing stops someone attacking in a home invasion like a air horn. I bet if this guy only had an air horn, his kids and wife wouldn't have been raped and tortured -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire,_C...on_murders
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Have any of you considered that the people driving by slowly and looking at properties may very well be doing what you once did when you were looking for a place to buy? Maybe they are driving slow because your road is in such bad shape? Just because a vehicle drives by your house, slowly, does not immediately imply that they are going to burglarize your property! This level of paranoia some of you seem to be experiencing is getting out of hand.

I don't care what their motivation is, if somebody stops in the road and stares into my home, and if its convenient, I'm going to hold up a decapitated chicken at them! I actually wished I had paid more attention, because on about the same day (maybe same day, I don't remember) our neighbor's house was broken into and robbed.

Also, to answer another question, the game camera we have (link posted above) has a solar panel option. The solar panel is also a battery, so it powers the camera at night and recharges itself during the day. And if you get too many cloudy days in a row, it runs off the batteries in the camera until the solar panel gets a charge. It can also be ran off an AC adapter.
@ Oneself
The air horn idea is to alert the neighbourhood of suspicious activity or that help was urgently needed, not as a defense against an armed home invasion. Its a simple, cheap way of communicating, especially in remote areas.
Also, your example is not relevant. It concerns a brutal home invasion involving assault, rape, torture and murder. The father was asleep on his front porch when he was attacked with a baseball bat. Exactly what could have prevented that...

@ Terracore
Holding up a decapitated chicken is not a viable option for most people. Maybe if you had tooted an air horn, your neighbors house would not have been robbed.
Airhorns... Ain't got one.

Chickens... Plenty.
"@ Oneself
The air horn idea is to alert the neighbourhood of suspicious activity or that help was urgently needed, not as a defense against an armed home invasion. Its a simple, cheap way of communicating, especially in remote areas.
Also, your example is not relevant. It concerns a brutal home invasion involving assault, rape, torture and murder. The father was asleep on his front porch when he was attacked with a baseball bat. Exactly what could have prevented that..."

My wife is about as good of a shot as me, and she can clean a pistol even better. Robber hits me with the baseball bat, it would probably be their last action.

I wouldn't want Airhorns going off in my neighborhood. Imagine some paranoid malihini blastin' his airhorn every time someone drives by slow. I live in OLE right now, EVERYones drives by slow. the roads are ****.
LOL. Apologies to everyone, I just find this so amusing. You talking about paranoid malihini and all ..

Airhorn good idea, whistle would work too ... As long as everone knows.

I can see would be thieves eventually reacting in Pavlovian fashion. Creep in car, here horn / whistle, keep moving, slow down to scope out, here horn / whistle keep moving along ... all the way out ..
Funny thing, used to use whistle (lip type, not blow) to warn the dean was heading down to where the smokers hung out back in high school. Nobody smoking here sir! Police whistle is good for about 2-3 blocks.

Community begins with Aloha
puna related https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwJ4tEsWxjo

aloha,
pog