Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
Tom, I did notice that. And, I think that if a person is going to be stereotyped, they could do worse than the American stereotype of the Brits. I shudder when I think of the British stereotype of Americans. http://theoatmeal.com/pl/minor_differences4/accents (Caution: contains humor, profanity, and vulgarity)
Hahaha! Love "The Oatmeal".

By the way, you know why the British don't make computers, right?

They can't get them to leak oil.

[Big Grin]
I remember watching the British Sci-Fi show "Outcasts." Beautifully filmed in South Africa, with a decent plot but slightly lacking in other aspects. When the bad guy finally showed up with the second group of colonists from Earth, he had the requisite shifty eyes, and was the only one with an American accent!
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

Hahaha! Love "The Oatmeal".

By the way, you know why the British don't make computers, right?

They can't get them to leak oil.

[Big Grin]

LOL, I had a Triumph 500 scrambler in 1967 and what a pos that bike was, not only did it leak oil but "Lucas" , the prince of darkness
was on board as well(the electrical system).
I also managed to own a Jag"U"ar ,(the way my Brit girlfriend said it) which actually was a heck of a lot lot of fun at the time.
Too bad about the sacred being shred for the TMI project, but that is nothing new in this world. Where's the balance point?
Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigerators.
How were the ancient Hawaiians not desecrating Mauna Kea when they mined basalt off its flank hundreds of years ago? I know! The current crop of activists weren't there to tell them! (If they had been they likely would have gotten a boot in the okole and been told to take a hike).
http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Community begins with Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by bluesboy

I think of it similar to jazz music. Many purists want jazz to be what is was in the 1930s or 40s. they want to put it in a little box and hold it and cherish it. But that's not what jazz is. Jazz is a form of music that is cutting edge for its time, presenting new ideas and ways to present it. not looking back but always looking forward. playing songs in the style of jazz music in the 1930s or 40s is not jazz, but a cover band.

i feel like the hawaiian culture of today is one of nostalgia - grass skirts, ancient hula, adoration of liliuokalani. if the hawaiians would allow the culture to move forward, i think it would stand a much better chance of surviving and thriving.

Couldn't agree more.
Some of you posters are very HA-OLE. No breath. So quick to marginalize culture by branding these "activist" the way you do. HA-OLE. No "good" breath. Good and full of aloha on the outside, but ethnocentric and bigoted on the inside. In Hawaii, your insides matter, and forums like these certainly prove that the insides of some of you posters are are not pili with how the rivers flow in Hawaii.

Mauna a Wakea is not the first protest. As a matter of fact, 32,000 kupuna signed the Ku'e petition many generations back. So you can try to deconstruct the happenings of yesterday and brand folks as you may. But we Kanaka have been protesting such occurrences for years. And sadly, we have always been on the short end of the stick. We will keep protesting because in all reality, we have been subjugated to have no other directions.

The HA-OLE, will never see it through our lens. The HA-Ole will always vilify and reduce us. The HA-OLE will make senseless connections to Mauna Kea and "the great Hawaiian astronomers of the past." The HA-OLE will reduce our efforts to we being against everything, when in all reality, we are not. But for AINA, we will keep protesting. And for the record, the HA-OlE is not just white people. It also encompasses the beneficiaries of white money and rule. Such is the TMT. So don't be so defensive when hearing HA-OLE. Most of Hawaii's plantation-descendent AJA's are HA-OLE. Especially many of the politicians. There are many Hawaiians too who are HA-OLE too.

Remember, we don't protest to just protest. Study the issues. Learn the history. Then you won't be so quick to discredit our mission....or maybe you still will. People will be people. HA-OLE will be HA-OLE, regardless. This is the world we function in.

No can. SMDH.

What do you have against a new telescope being built where so many others already exist?
Is it the employment opportunities? The money? The science?