Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile Infrastructure / Services
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

KaloliJim - do the models you're considering have a complete floor platform with joists that would allow one to lift the structure from the trailer and place on posts & piers? Or is the trailer more structurally integrated and acting as a "foundation"?

The trailer is totally integrated. The home is actually built on the trailer, not attached later. There are several reasons why you want the wheels. First, it can be registered with DMV making it legal and potentially taking it out of the jurisdiction of the planning department. Second, once the wheels are off, it becomes a permanent dwelling and now illegal in so many ways. By keeping the wheels on the trailer, it is a vehicle, not a building. And third, if ever there is a problem with the county, or the land where it's parked, just drive away. These are made of 100% treated wood so they are not flimsy rusty mobile homes that fall apart in a strong wind. Take a look: http://socalcottages.com/models/caravan/
Yeah, I like the wheeled versions as well; both have their advantages. If I lived on the Mainland, that would be my choice. Here, I'd go with a more conventional building; But modular and movable, if necessary.
Unfortunately most of the benefits of the structure being on wheels (other than ease of movement) have been negated by the county code modifications (which also seem to limit the use of travel trailers, RVs, buses, and other wheeled living arrangements). One could always move it to a new location and back every 29 days if you wanted to skirt the language, depending on one's comfort level.

Another approach would be to engage the county building department on this topic to see what, if anything, can be done. I know Melissa at Yurts of Hawaii had to work continously to ensure everyone was in agreement about the permitability of her Yurts packages. She may be able to offer some tips or insights.
http://www.yurtsofhawaii.com
quote:
Originally posted by punafish

I remember years ago before HAAS built their beautiful buildings and pavilion, someone from the County did a random inspection, and deemed the tents on campus "not to code." Steve Hirakami argued that since we live in a lava zone, that the tents are ideal structures, as they can easily be disassembled, moved, and reassembled as needed. The county didn't agree with Steve's logic. As a result, HAAS proceeded to build permanent structures. We all know how that's working out.

Thankfully, HAAS main campus is still working out fine currently, but I understand your point.

Anyone have extra ideas about mobile education approaches? HAAS has programs for homeschool support as well as online / distance education. Thoughts on flexible location approaches? Community-based learning utilizing community centers, parks, beaches, and local business partners as education environments? Other ways to minimize or even eliminate a fixed location and facilities?

In terms of mobile facilities, the use of portables is common on the mainland to handle student enrollment outpacing classroom construction. Pros and cons for these used here on an extended basis? Other options?

Here's an interesting article about homesteading with trailers in the desert.
Not Hawaii, but the basic concepts apply; catchment, solar cooking, composting toilet...

If the county thinks one paved road and a couple of cinder emergency roads into Puna is adequate infrastructure, maybe they should consider that some of us driving into Puna can also live in Puna with "adequate" mobile shelters, or movable shelters, and provide a homestead designation as well as agriculture zoning.

http://boingboing.net/2014/11/20/trailer...he-mo.html
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves