Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pahoa business need your help
I wish the situation was laid out honestly! Instead we get your War On Puna - and Kapoho in particular.

One person on Punaweb says people should stay away from Pahoa so you report that as Gospel.
Great job.

I'd rather be saying this on TripAdvisor but your sycophants deep six everything.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

I was one of the people who mentioned the smell of smoke in HPP here. Yes, it was there - because there was a freakish wind from the South for a day or two. Why on Earth would you take it upon yourself to tell an overseas tourist that because of that they should avoid HPP?

Even the Civil Defense Update now reminds people that Pahoa is open for business yet you, the "Destination Expert" who lives nowhere near here tells people to stay away? Thanks a lot. Sorry, but this is a Puna-based forum, don't expect applause from me.

I do agree with you about the vacation rental people though - they should offer money back if the lava seriously disrupts the area. But that hasn't happened yet and isn't likely to happen now that they have had so much time to get the roads prepared. Time will tell.

Paul, I did not say avoid. The question was consider. Consider means do your research and ask about air quality and maybe follow the air quality. Hardly any structures have burned yet, so the effect on air is yet to be fully seen.

Of course I know the wind patterns. I've lived here 10 years. In the winter months, the trades often weaken, and there is more south and west wind.

The silly thing about all this fuss, is I have avoided linking Punaweb topics on TA most of the time, because this board is so full of doom and gloom and fighting that most visitors would run screaming if they read it.

But I was wrong. Plenty of them already read Punaweb, so why hide it? From now on, any questions, I'll link it to the topic here, no opinion on my part. Question on air quality? Topic on Punaweb.
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19812

Be the experts. Then you can all sue yourselves for scaring people away.

Kathy
If you don't like the title Destination Expert then it seems you can have it removed.

The word was "reconsider", not consider. Big difference.

Doom and gloom? You're one of the Doomers! Remember that nasty disease a while back?

Sure, link to Punaweb, why not. At least people here can say what they want without every second post being deleted.
No "Destination Experts" here.

--
Sorry for hijacking this thread. In penance I shall eat out in Pahoa at least twice this week.
At least now we know one reason why business is down.
Kathy lots of time mixes facts with fiction but I see nothing wrong with her tripadvisor post. I was in hilo a couple times last week and the air was bad. So I image what it was like in hpp. This people spend thousand of dollars to come on there trip of a life time. Why not tell them the truth you could get bad air,130 could go away and it would not be fun to be in lower puna when that happens. I have been told by people who live in Pahoa area that they wish people stay away that the roads cant take the traffic and it bad enough just with the locals. When the lava starts to flow people will be back the news cast has even move it to second half of the news now.

jrw
jrw
I see a thread was started there called "Please Vist Puna, Please Come to Pahoa Village"
It lasted all of 11 minutes before being deleted. I'm sure it was most inappropriate.
Maybe you could instruct your flying monkeys to give the Delete button a well deserved rest.
" the roads cant take the traffic"
Have you been there recently? It's like a ghost town.

Sure, HPP can get VOG. Anywhere here can get VOG at any time. That's always been the case.
But the subdivisions on the East coast have less chance of it than anywhere else thanks to the trade winds.
It's really just a matter of targeted marketing. Folks over in Beijing, for instance, might find the local ambiance comforting in a homey kind of way. Then there are those who have a spiritual connection with brimstone -- come on down! Don't forget Chilean globetrotters: ven por aca hijos de volcan.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
The smoke advisories are for close proximity to the flows. They are not meant for places a mile away or more from the flow. Currently they only apply to Pahoa itself. We went to Malama market today and didn't notice any smoke and also went to the Black Rock 1/4 mile from flow front and noticed no smoke.

The warning about possible smoke in HPP was a gross misrepresentation of the close proximity advisories.

The warning about gravel roads is another gross misrepresentation. RR will work out just fine and by the time it's threatened, we'll see DOT lay out gravel over the flow across 130 and make a gravel reconnect. Now that's actually something a tourist might like to experience, driving over an active lava flow, a story to share for years to come.

There are problems here from the flow but none are anything a tourist should be concerned about. Portraying there are potential problems tourist might encounter is fear mongering nonsense.

We live down in Waa Waa and have no fear of the lava or it's impact on our lives. If we don't have a fear, no tourist should either.
kathy,
your words on trip advisor have negative qualities IMO. i read all of your postings; you display bias.
regarding your kapoho tidepool postings:

Re: Kapoho Wai Opae tidepools currently closed to visitors
Sep 15, 2014, 6:46 PM

....."Well, in about a week, visitors would need to park in Kea'au and walk to Kapoho, so I don't think it matters right now if they are open"......

you predicted people would have to walk from keaau to kapoho????

AND THEN THIS:

Nov 08, 2014, 6:00 PM
"Puna has in the past offered inexpensive oceanfront, really cheap rain forest and jungle stays, proximity to lava tours,....

It doesn't offer good swimming, the snorkeling has major pollution issues that many people ignore.... As for rules and laws, they are basically ignored down there, so all sorts of zoning violations happen with a blind eye from enforcement....

I just think that sitting in traffic on a gravel road is going to test the patience of saints. Puna drivers are already the worst and rudest on the island."

I will be contacting trip advisor; you are 'the worst and rudest on the island' regarding puna.

Shay
Shay,

Like I said, targeted marketing is effective. The conditions Kathy describes surely must appeal to someone. As they say, Ya don't sell the steak ya sell the sizzle, and spin those negatives into positives.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia