Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does nighttime drilling ban apply to PGV?
Originally posted by opihikao
Mr. Bondensen hit the nail on the head. "There are safety considerations as well as functional issues that make it impossible to just stop the operation based on the clock," as an example. Thank you, Sir. Surprised you didn't have your comment analyzed, dissected, etc. Must hold some weight.

Actually I noted that PGV has had to suspend drilling at night before due to noise complaints and violations. It's happened at least twice, such as in Feb 1993, for several nights each stoppage, while drilling KS-10.

While there are functional issues with drilling, as outlined by GeothermEx comments on Bill 292, 'impossible to stop' appears to be an overstatement.

http://bigislandnow.com/2012/10/31/drill...-concerns/
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/media/...hermal.mp4

Waiting on those pearls in any quantity...
Still waiting.

See, there it is. Dissection. So, ironyak, the scientists are wrong, right? As you stated, "appears to be an overstatement."

Well, here's the entire statement (prior to editing, just in case -BBM):

Ironyak states: "Actually I noted that PGV has had to suspend drilling at night before due to noise complaints and violations. It's happened at least twice, such as in Feb 1993, for several nights each stoppage, while drilling KS-10."

1993. We are in 2015, and PGV needs to step up with some hard facts, as does the public. Documentation is crucial. Nothing has shown the health effects are detrimental, and yet, the people cry (not my ohana, who are there for generations, nor reaping any benefits from PGV/ORMAT), "The Feds and State and County are conspiring to kill us all!". Please. Show me hard proof.

Your research is admirable, ironyak, however, to delve into the ages is counterproductive. What can today offer all of us? That is my question.

Waiting for the "pearls"...for over 30 years.

Time to have our own Public Utility in the true sense of the words.

ETA: Public utility comment, albeit, off topic. E kala mai. (Oh, found my glasses. [8D])

JMO.

opihikao - you are a Puna jewel!
The point is that drilling at night has been suspended before, yet the ~5000 foot well was still completed. Apparently not impossible to stop as Jay implied and you supported?
http://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bi...Report.pdf
(Yes another historical document showing what has actually been done. This doc has been linked to on PW in years past so should not be new info)

If you would like to point out where PGV, GeothermEx, or any other scientific source, has said that suspending drilling at night is impossible, please do so. Or if you'd like to point out where I said that 'scientists are wrong' do that as well otherwise it's a nice strawman. (Could use a cheeseburger deluxe though Wink

EDIT: fixed final well depth, decorations
Mr Bondersen you have brought up an important community safety issue. For three months or more geothermal wants to drill a new well continuously, apparently this is safer than stopping the drilling process. If stopping is so dangerous could someone explain why this is? We do live
On an active volcano with lava flows and its uncertainties within this east rift zone.
Why start drilling a new well at all if so many dangers are present? Most did not expect hurricanes to effect geothermal productions, we were sadly wrong. Could things like earthquakes, or lava showing up in the new well be reasons to stop drilling? These have to be prepared for as the risks of these two intangibles are higher in probability than before.
Also anyone know how many wells are currently being used by Geothermal, or how many total have been drilled in the past 25 years? Was this past well that has been drying up a very productive well, how can geothermal continue to use it if not as much steam is being produced?
Is it true Geothermal has to use chemicals mixed with its water to produce its steam, do they need to use even more of this toxic brine when wells dry up? Trying to gain a better understanding to how this growing neighbor of ours works.
Anyone here ever seen a bulldozer being lifted from the ground due to the pressure from an un-capped well or blowout? Someone once told me they witnessed this here, are these types of accidents caused from the stopping of the drilling process?
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

opihikao - you are a Puna jewel!

Mr. Tom! Aloha, Sir (and to Pam; waving)! My Papa and Tutu need to hear that. [Big Grin](Curtesy to the right, Sir.)

For levity, and again, mahalo for the hard work, ironyak. There is middle ground....somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3rubGrGZQ

JMO.

ETA: Can I join the night crew, as my mo'opuna are given me a run for my money. (As they say...OMG. [:0])
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Mr Bondersen you have brought up an important community safety issue. For three months or more geothermal wants to drill a new well continuously, apparently this is safer than stopping the drilling process. If stopping is so dangerous could someone explain why this is? We do live
On an active volcano with lava flows and its uncertainties within this east rift zone.
Why start drilling a new well at all if so many dangers are present? Most did not expect hurricanes to effect geothermal productions, we were sadly wrong. Could things like earthquakes, or lava showing up in the new well be reasons to stop drilling? These have to be prepared for as the risks of these two intangibles are higher in probability than before.
Also anyone know how many wells are currently being used by Geothermal, or how many total have been drilled in the past 25 years? Was this past well that has been drying up a very productive well, how can geothermal continue to use it if not as much steam is being produced?
Is it true Geothermal has to use chemicals mixed with its water to produce its steam, do they need to use even more of this toxic brine when wells dry up? Trying to gain a better understanding to how this growing neighbor of ours works.
Anyone here ever seen a bulldozer being lifted from the ground due to the pressure from an un-capped well or blowout? Someone once told me they witnessed this here, are these types of accidents caused from the stopping of the drilling process?

gypsy69, I cannot feel your pain, nor can you feel mine. We have grown up in Pohoiki, Opihikao, Kaimu (Kalapana), Kau, and beyond.
Get the hell out if this situation is so stressful. Life is more important, especially for your keiki.

For my ohana, we seek peace. If we should be afforded protection, grace, and dignity in the process, that is what we strive diligently for (speaking for my ohana only; I hold the right via kupuna.)

JMO.
"For levity, and again, mahalo for the hard work, ironyak. There is middle ground....somewhere.

"

LOL! But not something new to me!

Just for levity's sake, gawd we need it, Pam's and my experience from a few years ago. Sorry, not Puna:

http://apacificview.blogspot.com/2010/04...ia-ca.html
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"For levity, and again, mahalo for the hard work, ironyak. There is middle ground....somewhere.

"

LOL! But not something new to me!

Just for levity's sake, gawd we need it, Pam's and my experience from a few years ago. Sorry, not Puna:

http://apacificview.blogspot.com/2010/04...ia-ca.html

Love it, Sir. [Smile] Levity. A good thing amidst the turmoil.

Bid y'all a good night, as tomorrow is another long day.

JMO. (Apologies for OT.)
This ban on nighttime drilling should indeed apply to Ormat owned geothermal here in Puna. Our county council, more importantly mayor Billy Kenoi passed this bill, to help ease the pain felt by close living residents who lived near the plant. We have all thanked and Paid our current mayor and former council for a job well done when passing this bill, looks like a back stabbing to our community now. Ddang lawyers rule this land, they can change any laws or language written with a stroke of a pen for Favors and money. Maybe former mayor Harry Kim was not only being honest with his community but also very right to have such strong concerns about the passing of recent bills and laws that were to effect our community. Sure wish we had Harry running Puna instead of Billy running Ironman triathalons, I think we would not be getting flushed this way by Ormat. J.M.O's.