Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solving the Welfare burden
The top 10% of earners pay virtually everything that is collected

The top 10 percent of income earners paid 68 percent of all federal income taxes in 2011 (the latest year available), though they earned 45 percent of all income. The bottom 50 percent paid 3 percent of income taxes, but earned 12 percent of income.
http://www.heritage.org/federalbudget/to...me-earners

And how do the top 10% earn so much money? By employing the bottom 50%, and paying them minimum wage. The wealthy also have disposable income which they invest to get even more money, then complain about their minimum wage workers not paying taxes at private $1000 a plate gatherings.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This is getting way off track from Hawaii related. Reel it in or watch it fade away.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

The top 10% of earners pay virtually everything that is collected

The top 10 percent of income earners paid 68 percent of all federal income taxes in 2011 (the latest year available), though they earned 45 percent of all income. The bottom 50 percent paid 3 percent of income taxes, but earned 12 percent of income.
http://www.heritage.org/federalbudget/to...me-earners

And how do the top 10% earn so much money? By employing the bottom 50%, and paying them minimum wage. The wealthy also have disposable income which they invest to get even more money, then complain about their minimum wage workers not paying taxes at private $1000 a plate gatherings.

If people don't want to be stuck in low-paying jobs, they should do what successful people do - improve their marketability by education, training and application.

People need to pay their own way. When I was a kid, I worked at the Holiday Inn washing dishes. I was paid $1.35 an hour and paid more taxes then than 40% of Americans do today.

And this is true in Puna, as well as elsewhere.

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Ah yes, and the Heritage Foundation.
They and their funders want to turn Hawaii into a bolt hole
for the superwealthy.
(e.g.) See Larry Ellison. He bought a whole island.
See Larry Ellison. He bought a whole island.
------------
And he is investing many, many millions of dollars into it.
quote:
Originally posted by punaticbychoice

Ah yes, and the Heritage Foundation.
They and their funders want to turn Hawaii into a bolt hole
for the superwealthy.
(e.g.) See Larry Ellison. He bought a whole island.

Such is the way of life. Effort and Endeavor are generally met with success, which is generally met with prosperity (reward for the betterment of society that the Effort and Endeavor resulted in through new products, meds etc), which is then used to buy "nice stuff" including "nice places", such as Hawaii.

Are you suggesting that the "spoils" should go to the loser? That would surely motivate a whole lot more ..... idleness, sloth, laziness and entitlement-mentatility! Get the picture?

If Hawaii is, is becoming, or has become, the reward for success, so be it. We need more success and less failure - especially the kind brought about by lack of effort.

Instead of resenting success (usually brought about by that nasty "E" word (Effort), you should emulate it, seek it, acquire it and be rewarded for it - even in Puna!!

OnoOno:
Gilded Age social darwinist Hawaii style.
No context for your comments.
"Effort and Endeavor" are most often not met by success unfortunately.
I get the picture of your argument.
quote:
Originally posted by OnoOno
People need to pay their own way. When I was a kid, I worked at the Holiday Inn washing dishes. I was paid $1.35 an hour and paid more taxes then than 40% of Americans do today.

Not disputing your comment, the following is just putting it in another perspective.

The minimum wage was $1.35 in the mid to late 1960's.

According to the inflation calculator online I used, $1.35 equates to $9.44 in 2014 dollars. (1967 - 2014). Hawaii Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation at the current $7.75. And of course Hawaii COL is above national average as we all know.

Additionally back in the day, CEO's made 20 x what the lower paid employees made (not a bad deal then!!), today it is estimated at 300 to one.

Matson CEO - 2012 $2.1M
HEI CEO - 2012 $5.8M
Hawaiian Airlines CEO - 2012 $2.7M

For welfare burden to ease, besides education, and building experience with a skill, the disparity between upper and lower wages needs to decrease by a decent percentage. I am not saying CEO's shouldn't be paid well, they got a big job.

Also by decreasing CEO's salaries and increasing the bottom wages, profits wouldnt take a hit and shareholders would still be happy.

But since companies compete for talented CEO's this probably wont happen but with a handful of companies although Cost Co has managed it! When did CEO's become rock stars? Based on the corporate drama the last 10 years they certainly do not rate it.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/22084...cutive-pay

Read the article - HEI's ceo wasn't getting glowing reviews for his $5.8M

Hawaii Minimum wage has not kept up with inflation at the current $7.75.

-----------

On paper, no it hasn't. However, the market forces have made sure that there are virtually zero jobs in Hawaii that pay that low. Check out the various help-wanted ads in the papers, craigslist, and temp agencies like Altres. Even Wal-Mart, Target, etc., start out here at above $9 an hour, even more on Oahu.
Even Wal-Mart, Target, etc., start out here at above $9 an hour

And on the mainland that $7.75 buys a gallon of milk for $4.00.
In Hawaii that $9.00 an hour buys a gallon of milk at twice the price you pay in the Midwest.
It's not fair to compare apples and oranges. (Which BTW, cost more in Hawaii too.)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves