Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgery on the Big Island?
I believe the topic was Puna people attempting to get needed, good medical care. Often, that involves travel to Oahu and/or the mainland.
I don't know where you got the 30#'s.
I don't fly, ever, unless medically necessary. That's why I haven't seen my grandson in 5 years.
I'm guessing you're not the guy who helped me get out of the wheelchair and stowed my stuff in the overhead.
As I said, sorry to be a pain in the rump. It's hard to understand unless you've "been there", needing help.
I wish you continued able body-ness, and happy travels.
BTW Bullwinkle, your post about Charles Lindbergh was really interesting. Mahalo!
If you have flown - you would know wheel chairs usually boarded first and the crew stows the gear.

I fly constantly and lift my share of bags for fellow passengers that could use a hand....but throwing my back out so some one can save 25 dollars - not in the game.

the topic was on island treatment for serious conditions (brain tumors that pop)

my comment was that

1) we need a trauma center on island

2) "Real" help was 5 hours away

3) Like all things being happy in Hawaii or Being healthy in New York (or L.A.) was a tough trade off

the post then slipped into the abyss of airline policies and expectations.

my apologies to the original poster - the ****ers did it again

see you
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

30lbs of medical supplies?

best not be flying

back to topic please

Who are you to tell others if they can or cannot fly?

My partner has to fly with a piece of vital medical equipment, he cannot risk it being lost by baggage handlers so we carry it on. I can lift it, but people like you are why he has not ever seen his grandsons or met his son in law. Able bodied, but ignorant, people who make harsh snap judgements about others without knowing what the deal is. Last time he flew someone like you was so nasty about the medical device "taking up too much space in the overhead" that he swore to never fly again, and he hasn't.

Back to the OP:
Kelena,
I would not risk needing emergency neurosurgery while on the Big Island, the time to get moved to Oahu and prepped for surgery could easily be just too long. Get fixed on the mainland, then come home to recover. Best of luck to you.
I have a seizure disorder and recall the standard medical treadmill just to get dilantin.

Find a GP that is taking patients get referral. co pay $14
About 4 hours.

Appt neurologist...where are your records? ...lets do new bloodwork. co pay $14 About 2.5 hours

Bloodwork appt. co pay $14 and 2 hours

Phone call. Yes bloodwork fine. Free and 10 minutes

Pharmacy co pay $20 and about 1 hr

Total $62 and almost 10 hours

Good thing I had insurance. Otherwise it would be near $500.

Now exact same drug, same manufacturer from same factory supplied in Thailand.

Stop in any pharmacy request a non-addictive non-controlled drug. Yes sir! That will be $12. About 4 minutes.

I kid you not, knowing what I have had to go through and pay in the US for a maintenance drug nearly made me cry in Thailand when I saw their system.

That is not copay. That is full price no script needed.

Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
I don't know if Bullwinkle works for United, but his or her attitude is very consistent with the attitude of the flight attendants on her flight to Hawaii, and as both Kenney and Shockwave point out, you don't check medication you need. And then there's this:

https://youtu.be/5YGc4zOqozo

Sorry, Kelena, but just needed to vent.
Hadn't seen these before, but the sequels are even funnier:

https://youtu.be/h-UoERHaSQg

https://youtu.be/P45E0uGVyeg