Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
ISS, Tiangong, Satellites Over Puna
It hasn't blown up yet,

That's the unspoken foundation for many a successful endeavor...
(and then, at some point, we exhale.)

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." -Annie Dillard
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"This is a great event but this is just another soft lander attempt."

Perhaps you should do a little more reading. The lander part of the mission is a periphery. The main mission is the orbiter which will be measuring the atmosphere to help determine whether the presence of methane has a geological or biological cause.
ISS passing over Hawaii Easter Sunday morning:

Time: Sun Mar 27 5:34 AM
Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 53°, Appears: 10° above NNW, Disappears: 10° above SE

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The ISS is visible this evening as well. Rises in the SW at 19:37, sets at 19:43 in the NNE. Highest point is approx 50 degrees above the horizon to the WNW (for those in lower Puna, look above Mauna Kea at 19:40). Clear skies, everyone!
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

The ISS is visible this evening as well. Rises in the SW at 19:37, sets at 19:43 in the NNE. Highest point is approx 50 degrees above the horizon to the WNW (for those in lower Puna, look above Mauna Kea at 19:40). Clear skies, everyone!

Mahalo, Mr. Tom! It's a tad cloudy and voggy at the moment, but the weather folks on the news said Mauna Kea would have winds up to 80MPH or so tonight. [:0] Hopefully it will clear the skies...

We'll be looking up from here.

Enjoy!

PS. For those that know the night sky, the ISS will pass very close to Aldebaran in Taurus just before 19:40. If you don't know how to find Aldebaran, but can identify Orion's Belt, then the belt points almost directly towards Aldebaran in the NW (or to the right if you work that way). It's a bright star with a reddish-orange hue.
Excellent view tonight. Thanks Tom, the station came into view for me a little before it lined up with Orion's Belt & Aldebaran.

Just watched with my neighbor. Wonderful sight! I was thinking of the astronauts as we watched it as they would have been experiencing their own sunset at the time, although they do get to see several a day!
As a future space traveler might say:

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... off the shoulder of Orion. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
-Blade Runner

Watched it cruise across the sky at 17,000 miles an hour here in lower HPP. Beautiful sight.