Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Flow - toward ocean now
Its not illegal for this group in hilo, gambling has been profitable for decades.

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...n-gambling

Entering them into the system is a real joke, some here have been entered multiple times already.

PaulW, I will give you my prediction on when the lava flow will hit the ocean in a couple days.
Lava flow makes it to the ocean, people are ecstatically happy and crazy enough to take boats by and some jumping in to get some photo ops.

Lava flow heads to highway, it is the apocalypse arriving, survivalists see the need for food control after the cutoff, private escape airport for the well heeled.

South Puna, the only place where new residential real estate is being made every day.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I always enjoyed those ocean entries. I'll enjoy them even more after nearly experiencing the alternative.
For a few years it was sweet down there on the lava fields, mostly an artist community and the folks had enough sense to spread out and not crowd one another. Then the yahoo's invaded, according to a few artists I know in the area, building too close, being too loud and disrespectful. A few good spots left but slowly turning into what looks like a slum.

I know some who purchased large plots with green kipuka areas on the slopes, making that gamble when Pele turned to Pahoa. I'm feeling for them now, good people.

quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

For a few years it was sweet down there on the lava fields, mostly an artist community and the folks had enough sense to spread out and not crowd one another. Then the yahoo's invaded, according to a few artists I know in the area, building too close, being too loud and disrespectful. A few good spots left but slowly turning into what looks like a slum.

I know some who purchased large plots with green kipuka areas on the slopes, making that gamble when Pele turned to Pahoa. I'm feeling for them now, good people.

I think those people will be fine. It's likely that this flow will make an ocean entry about half way between 'end of the road' in the park and Kalapana, down slope from the old Royal Gardens subdivision. It seems to be aiming for one of the remaining kipukas there currently and then down to the ocean. Look at the most recent map and it doesn't look bad for Kalapana (in fact it's probably good for the lava tour business there)

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

C'mon people, let's get some dates! Or you can just waffle a bit and say later you were right, no matter what happens, up to you.
I'd suggest $5 a pick but gambling is illegal here.

July 22. Happy? Wink

Cheers,
Kirt
July 4th would be cool ! tried to look up some old flow times....for an half way educated guess Wink but will just go with August 25th !
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

As such I think saying the flow is traveling at X rate today and that the distance to the ocean is Y and X times Y equals the time it will take until the flow reaches the sea is naive at best.

This was only intended to be a lighthearted guessing game after the past two years of stress with lava threatening our homes and communities. I never did any measurements or calculations, that would be absurd with all the variables.

I've always enjoyed your contributions in regards to the volcanoes, but now you're not being "dakine".
August 9th.

Saw lava entering the ocean at Kalapana one Fourth of July and it was quite a fireworks show.
http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2016/0...l-gardens/