Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neighbor assaulted me in my own yard - Ainaloa
quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

quote:
Originally posted by gerconr

I DID NOT FIGHT BACK AT ALL DURING THE ATTACK.

At least you recognize your mistake.

I would never fight back for myself. Only time I would is to protect my family. I would rather die than be sentenced for something I didn't do. I always try to avoid any signs of violence.
sounds like he also should be charged with theft if he took your bb gun.
he already has a history with the cops.
talk to the chief of police. make an appointment . you have injuries, he had your possessions, he was on your property. and do get a TRO. but i agree the local boys usually win here in any situation. everyone is related to everyone else. not fair but it is the way it is.. sorry this happened to you....
Here's what can happen to you when dealing with a police report. From a true story.

"It's a little bit like homework, for cops":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dunYAG61uSA

- Be pleasant to inefficient workers; give them undeserved promotions. - Work slowly. - Refer all matters to committees for "further study and consideration. - Hold conferences. - Make travel as inconvenient as possible. - Haggle over precise wordings of communications. - Advocate “caution.” Be “reasonable” and avoid haste. (Excerpts from the WWII OSS Simple Sabotage Manual)
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It seems like we have a smart district attorney. I hope he can see through these false accusations. Must have been re-elected for a reason.
Are you sure it was the BB gun that he was mad about? Sound more like his wife was caught cheating and named you as the guy who climbed out the window.
Ouch!!
Get rid of the BB gun. Not worth the hassle.
quote:

quote:

quote:

I would never fight back for myself. Only time I would is to protect my family. I would rather die than be sentenced for something I didn't do. I always try to avoid any signs of violence.

How safe is your family when you're laying on the ground knocked out or worse because you never fight back? If you cannot fight back on you're own property vs. someone who comes intending to damage you, when can you fight back? I understand your point of view but it's just ridiculous to have to fear being locked up when you fight back from your own property. Is there any other part of the story you haven't told us?
Having just wrapped up a career in law enforcement, I can confidently say that if the Police didn't charge you the day of the incident, or immediately thereafter, you are unlikely to be charged.

However, if you feel that there is some reason that you could be charged, please take me seriously when I say:
a) Hire a lawyer.
b) Anything you say can, and will, be used against you in a court of law. Including statements made in an internet forum. Seriously stop talking...

Through my career, I have given that advice to many people. They seldom took it. When they didn't, it rarely worked out well for them in the end. Those who did take the advice usually came out better in the end. Even having been a Law Enforcement Officer, if I were to be facing charges, I would hire a lawyer. I wouldn't talk to anyone about the incident, except through that lawyer; not the cops, not my neighbors, and certainly not written down on the internet. I was a cop, and I wouldn't talk to the cops without a lawyer. I hope that conveys the message strongly enough. Even if I felt that the case was being handled with clear bias, if there was any chance that I would be charged (even if maliciously,) I wouldn't even try to file a complaint without working through the layer. The complaint itself is a statement, which can be used against you, and compared against your statement at the time of the incident, or your testimony later.
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

quote:

quote:

quote:

How safe is your family when you're laying on the ground knocked out or worse because you never fight back? If you cannot fight back on you're own property vs. someone who comes intending to damage you, when can you fight back? I understand your point of view but it's just ridiculous to have to fear being locked up when you fight back from your own property. Is there any other part of the story you haven't told us?

I'm just not a violent person. Maybe I should have stood up for myself, but I chose nursing as a profession and if I can't keep my calm or intend to hurt anyone in anyway, I would never have chosen to pursue nursing. Besides, when going in for an interview, who do you think an employer will hire? Someone with a criminal charge (even if wrongly accused) or someone with a clean past?