Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We are hicop.org
from google: What is ADS b out?
Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast (ADS–B) is a surveillance technology in which an aircraft determines its position via satellite navigation and periodically broadcasts it, enabling it to be tracked. The information can be received by air traffic control ground stations as a replacement for secondary radar.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Before we moved to Hawaii I spent 15 years living in a tourist town that had similar tour helicopter noise problems (and complaints), however the helicopters only flew 4 months a year so the residents got a break from it.

The helicopter tour companies refused to voluntarily do anything to abate the problem until the petition process was used to put an initiative on the ballot that would limit their operations. Suddenly, magically, they started making gestures to cooperate with the abatement process.

This situation is likely no different. These companies only care about profits. Until you threaten their profits, they will never voluntarily make an effort to participate in noise reduction.

Ino, thanks for your efforts. I can't wait to see your data.
I think some of the confusion is that Ino initially said he was setting up a "radar ground station". It isn't radar in any form. It is simply a radio receiver that captures all of the ADS-B signals within its range and the software processes that into how many flights and reported positions that it sees. It will most certainly pick up all of the normal commercial flights in/out of Hilo, even if they are not anywhere near his B and B on S Kulani Rd.

The other issue is that the tour helicopters do not need to have ADS-B installed until 2020, so unless a couple have added it already, Ino won't be getting any flight data from them anyway.

I think the device and the software are interesting overall though.
helicopter tour companies refused to voluntarily do anything to abate the problem until the petition process was used to put an initiative on the ballot

Hawaii is the "land of pre-emption", so the tour operators will simply refuse to abide by any County or State regulations.

tour helicopters do not need to have ADS-B installed until 2020

ADS-B not required in Class E airspace below 2500' AGL -- I'm no expert, but I'm guessing the helicopters turn out to be exempt.
ADS-B is Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast-out and it's not radar, but a 1.09 Ghz signal that sends out some information about the aircraft.

quote:
Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast Out (ADS-B Out)

Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast is a new way for air traffic control to separate air traffic that doesn’t rely on radar - allows for tighter aircraft spacing and higher traffic capacity in congested airspace.

ADS-B is a key component of the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) – the transition from ground-based-radar air traffic control to an automated transmission of precise aircraft position based on Global Positioning System data
ADS-B Out is a new way for air traffic control to separate air traffic that doesn’t rely on radar – allows for tighter aircraft spacing and higher traffic capacity in congested airspace
Aircraft flying in ADS-B Out airspace use GPS to determine its position and automatically transmit it – these position reports are significantly more accurate and update more quickly than radar

Compliance effective date: 2020.

There is ADS-B "IN" as well, which allows you to receive the broadcasts, which is what Ino is using. And there are devices that do both, send aircraft data (OUT) and receive data from other aircraft (IN).

Since the garmin unit costs $4,000 https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-a...11180.html most small operations probably will hold off until 2020.

As for the 250+ flights that were reported, it's unlikely that the entire island sees that much traffic in a day, so there might be a lot of flights falling in and out of range that they are including in that data. However you'll see what's there once you connect up your receiver.
I’m certainly not an expert on any of this stuff. Flightaware took pity on me even though I did not buy their data at $761 for the 12-26-15 data and they are trying to help me get an idea as to what is going on here. I’m hoping that it works for me and that no longer will I be prey to those that have the data but won’t share it.

I’ll be at Makuu today from 11-1 and next Sunday 11-4 all morning long to try and drum up support for this cause. I know I will probably have to move and I have started the moving process. I believe there is strength in numbers and if enough people can organize they’ll have to respond to our concerns.

With my original complaint 12-28-15 the FAA told me that it was just me complaining. I live near the Forest Reserve in a 2 story house- Sorry Lelanidude there is No B and B here. When I went to the Governor’s meeting I found out it’s not just me.

Much of my problem is I’m a retired meteorologist who loves to watch the wx processes here and I am home during the day. I have tried to not be here during the cruise ship arrivals but it just seems like I should be entitled to a quiet and peaceful home.
it just seems like I should be entitled to a quiet and peaceful home

This option is available, but the property taxes are somewhat higher, nobody will enforce regulations for those in the "cheap seats".
Tourism dollars from hele tours bring in to much money to the state.. they aren't going to disturb one of their geese that lay golden eggs.
So you are not "Darryl ____" who registered the website hicop.org and whose name is on many of the complaint letters to government people. I left the name blank although anyone can use whois to look up the owner.
Tourism dollars from hele tours bring in to much money to the state..

Helicopters tours fly over substandard, unimproved, private subdivisions of tax extracted residents, on flight paths that are substandard, sub-optimal, and for the time being untraceable according to the powers that be who are supposed to regulate them.

Sounds like a win-win situation for state-county-federal governments.

Something is wrong, I know it, if I don't keep my attention on eternity. Mary Oliver
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves