Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County resolution 205-17
I think the issue is we are not even getting what we pay for. Lots of taxes being payed here beyond property.
we are not even getting what we pay for

Without an audit, there's no way to be sure.

Consider: bond debt for a lovely new Pahoa Park, when County knew all along that the Hilo landfill would need to be shut down -- now taxes must be raised to pay for things we "need".

When you pay your GET in Puna, how much of that revenue comes back to Puna?

When you buy gas in Puna, how much FTR does Puna receive?

County is raising property taxes, but speculators still get "ag exemption" on vacant lots...
Perhaps some of you folks have a different understanding about tax revenues and spending. In Hawaii, tax revenues sources do not determine spending. Keaau and Pahoa schools are the equivalent of public schools in richer areas. Perhaps some of you think that since the Kona side generates 70% of the revenue they should get 70% for themselves. More police, more fire protection, a lifeguard at Kua Bay, better roads, public transportation and way more money for education. Right?
tax revenues sources do not determine spending

Correct. Spending is determined first, with taxes raised to match. Public employees got a raise, so now we get a tax increase to pay for it.

since the Kona side generates 70% of the revenue they should get 70% for themselves

Kona can get its own water and build its own worker housing too, right?
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

I think the issue is we are not even getting what we pay for. Lots of taxes being payed here beyond property.

Sorry to be that guy but if you cannot afford it or you think you're not getting your fair share, then this might not be the place for you.

Honestly though, I don't think I have ever gotten a fair return on my taxes. From income tax, to property tax and all the little ones in between, it's all highway robbery from where I am sitting.

So if I think some gas tax and registration revenue should be spent in the Puna subdivisions generating it with their long commutes and heavy trucks, I should shut up and move? Thanks Joe.

No one likes taxes, but everyone likes an ambulance or fire truck to be able to get to their ohana. Maybe if our government would concentrate on real infrastructure, not acting like a nanny state santa claus telling people how to live and building parks instead of paving roads.

Peter, I'm pretty sure the sources of revenue are currently irrelevant to the county government. The spending occurs wherever it will get them re-elected, give their contractor buddies jobs, and otherwise perpetuate the government gravy train.
gas tax and registration revenue should be spent in the Puna subdivisions generating it

My favorite example, again: it's about 10 miles to the nearest "corner store", but only two of those miles are "public County road"; I'm taxed on the whole thing, where does the extra money go? Did I "subsidize" other miles of road elsewhere? Was it a "contribution" to the "public good"?

sources of revenue are currently irrelevant to the county government

Not exactly -- County doesn't dare raise taxes on their buddies.

Figures don't lie but liers figure
West side adding resort taxes to what they claim they pay is BS resources from the whole county go to keeping them running and the tourists entertained
Compare apples to apples like 'single family homes on county road with water '
How abou... Kona can have the Volcano, and we get the Costco?
How on earth would anyone think they would ever receive their "money's worth" from the taxes they pay? Government is the least efficient way to allocate resources simply because of the huge beurocracy. The only people who get their "money's worth" are those who don't pay into the system.
Puna: Our roosters crow first