Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jones act hurting Puerto Rico?
Leilanidude, DHS suspended it for both Florida and Texas without petitions so fuel could get in quicker. Puerto Rico is even in more precarious position as most of the their fuel is from foreign sources. They've been low on fuel since the storm. Trump specifically refused to step in to lift the act for Puerto Rico.

Foes of the Jones Act -- including leading Republican lawmakers -- say that it drives up prices, especially on islands such as Hawaii and Puerto Rico, and hurts economic competitiveness.

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a longtime advocate of repealing the Jones Act restrictions, wrote a letter to the Department of Homeland Security saying, "I am very concerned by the Department’s decision not to waive the Jones Act for current relief efforts in Puerto Rico, which is facing a worsening humanitarian crisis following Hurricane Maria."
DHS suspended it for Texas due to the oil refineries as they considered it a national security issue.
Leilanidude, DHS suspended it for both Florida and Texas without petitions

There are no oil refineries in Florida:
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pnp_cap1_dcu_SFL_a.htm

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Maybe, glinda, you should apologize for your rant?
Apologize? Dude, the guy's a madman! Others might apologize for not speaking up more, or sooner, but brother, when one see darkness, evil, it is incumbent that one shine a light on it. Isn't it?

And yes, the Jones Act is just another version of government having way too much say in our lives. It's protectionism, croneyism, or more specifically, corporate welfare at the expense of the common person.
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), a longtime advocate of repealing the Jones Act restrictions, wrote a letter to the Department of Homeland Security saying, "I am very concerned by the Department’s decision not to waive the Jones Act for current relief efforts in Puerto Rico, which is facing a worsening humanitarian crisis following Hurricane Maria."
----------
How do you stretch to Trump refused? Especially when he immediately signed the order after the governor requested it?
glindakine still failing to understand the difference between local and national.
Nobody cares about your (or mine or anyone else's) opinion about national politics.

Thanks for the petition link Eric.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_M...ct_of_1920

Requests for waivers of the Act and its provisions are reviewed by the Department of Homeland Security on a case-by-case basis, and can only be granted based on interest of national defense. Historically, waivers have only been granted in cases of national emergencies or upon the request of the Secretary of Defense.
DHS suspended it for Texas due to the oil refineries as they considered it a national security issue.

If this is in fact one of the criteria used for suspending the Jones Act (Florida clearly qualifies for other reasons), Hawaii should in an emergency start receiving assistance sooner than Puerto Rico, as we not only have oil refineries, but strategically located national defense facilities.

The Donner Party really wasn't that great of a party, was it?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
How do you stretch to Trump refused? Especially when he immediately signed the order after the governor requested it?

A 10 day waiver is almost worthless for Puerto Rico and that's not what he requested.

I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics you're preforming for Trump. He refused to step in to get DHS to waive it, is what I said. There were early reports that said the wavier was denied, but later corrected to say no decision was made. It took him a week when it was suspended immediately for Texas and Floria. Why? Real America First maybe? Maybe Elaine Cho, Transportation Secretary and Sen. McConnell's wife, has a shipping monopoly to Puerto Rico.

“We're thinking about that [waiving the Jones Act] but we have a lot of shippers and a lot of people that work in the shipping industry that don’t want the Jones Act lifted," Trump told reporters. "And we have a lot of ships out there right now.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/famil...ation-pick
I love it when some here are inspired to play hall monitor. Especially when they don those silly little outfits and strut up and down acting all self important. Silly little boys, or old men, there ain't much of a difference.

Civil Beat did a rather insightful piece yesterday called Doing Away With The Jones Act May Help Puerto Rico — And Hawaii that can be read at:

http://www.civilbeat.org/2017/09/doing-a...nd-hawaii/

That I believe gives a well rounded view of both the immediate situation with Puerto Rico and the long term issues with the act's impact on Hawaii. And of course the comments that follow are also a good read on how some of the more vocal readers feel about it.

The Jones Act is a multi-billion dollar stranglehold on the people of Hawaii. It is costing each and everyone of us thousands of dollars a year in higher costs of living, and should be repealed. But, good luck with that.
Since you love it so much, I'll do it again when you relapse. Newbies need guidance sometimes.

BTW I agree with you on both issues.