Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Hawaiian Sailors
What ditzy, erratic behavior

She was also living in a confined, restricted space, her boat, with only one other person to interact with for an extended period of time. Some people get quite effusive when they return to society after a long period of solitude or in a small group where all the same stories have been told repeatedly.

Once picked up by the crew of the Navy vessel, or asked questions by reporters she might have cut loose in the novelty of her surroundings, and the excitement. Or maybe they offered her a cup of strong coffee right before the cameras rolled. Sit in a Starbucks for a few minutes and you'll notice customers exhibiting similar behavior as they near the bottom of their 31 oz Trentas.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
OK. I did not firm up on my belief until I heard the long list of their mishaps and questionable judgment. The whole list is a pattern of very odd behavior.
To quote Jon Lovitz: "ACTING!!" https://youtu.be/dmZSkWBJwBU
I agree that they seemed like they were on drugs or not right in the mind and their story is totally twisted. Why did they leave their boat? They could have totally fabricated their story about heading to Tahiti and loaded up on drugs in Thailand or one of those islands and were trying to smuggle it back while getting thrown off course. All conjecture anyway. Doubt we'll ever see the light on this one.
Oh, there's more. The women now claim the Taiwanese fishing boat that called the U.S. Coast Guard actually tried to ram their sailboat to sink them. Taiwanese authorities denied the allegation and pointed to satellite tracking which showed the fishing boat was nowhere near them when the women claimed the incident occurred:

"The Taiwanese fishing vessel was not planning to rescue us," she continued. "They tried to kill us during the night."

It was then that Appel said she decided to alert the U.S. Coast Guard. But she claimed there was an explanation for why she still didn't use the EPIRB and instead used the satellite phone on the fishing vessel.

"I was able to get on a surfboard and get on their boat, make an actual phone call. Because no one spoke English, it was easier and safer for me to relay the information to the U.S. Coast Guard-Guam sector that we were in danger without them realizing what we were saying. If I had thrown the EPIRB at that point, he [the captain] would have known."

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Having recently rewatched the Pirates of the Caribbean, I suspect the women invoked the pirates' code of "parlez".
Sooo... the fishing boat tried to kill them, so naturally they paddled over and asked to use their phone. It's more of a guideline than a code, really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kgS_AwuH0
How come we (or at least I) never heard about these two people from Hawaii missing at sea until after they were found?
Does it happen so often that it's not newsworthy?
How come we (or at least I) never heard about these two people from Hawaii missing at sea until after they were found?
-------
They wern't overdue anywhere and no one, including themselves, didn't report them as missing.
Ha! Hadn't heard the Taiwanese vessel thing yet. It keeps getting better!

Loved the Pirates vid, Lodestone! Wish we had like/love buttons.