Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increased land sales and development
your example illustrates why "definitions" are UNimportant....when desired

Better question: rules were ignored in whose favor, for what benefit?

Funny how the problem in HPP and OLE is that mandatory road dues are being subverted to other purposes, yet there's broad general support for HB2570, which "shall require the County to assess and collect fees" despite numerous examples of County's failure to properly administer funds for the intended purpose (bus system, anyone? or maybe those Kona deepwells).
" . . . despite numerous examples of County's failure to properly administer funds for the intended purpose (bus system, anyone? or maybe those Kona deepwells)."

It's sheer desperation. Many of us are willing to consider turning to our disaster of a county government for help with owners' associations that are even worse failures. I fully understand that we might well be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
I agree Chunkster. It is sheer desperation that brings me to consider turning the whole mess over to the County.
Hmmmm. Frying pan or fire?
Not much of a choice.

People used to call HPP the Sleeping Giant. No more. I’ve only seen this kind of development once before after Oprah, ( and was it Trump?) was on TV telling people the last place for cheap land was Puna. Within days droves of Mainlanders arrived looking for their piece of Paradise.. I was on the mainland 10days and when I returned there were 13 newly lots dozed on my block! We couldn’t even walk the dogs without some people in fancy SUV’s asking if we wanted to sell our homes for 10times what they were worth. Mainland people (happily) paid over 100k for a lot in HPP and built. Every one of those new spec houses were foreclosed on when the market bottomed out and the new people left. Lots of empty houses for rippers and vagrants to use.

I think Mrs. Mimosa is right and things will slow down again, but the end result I fear is that we will be priced out of our homes eventually by taxes and regulations.
Not quite:
http://archives.starbulletin.com/2005/05...tory2.html

She said Hawaii, not Puna.
"Mainland people (happily) paid over 100k for a lot in HPP and built"

Amazing! I'm not doubting your claim, but I would like to find proof of this, it would be an interesting story.
It should all be in the tax records. Can you think of a street (away from the ocean) where this would be the case?
Cross street would be even better. Thanks.
You’re re right Paul. Star Bulletin said “coconut wireless got it wrong. “. It was Hawaii, not Puna specifically but people sure thought it was.
Maybe when they checked land prices in Hawaii, they realized it was cheapest in Puna.

Not comfortable giving my street, but will ask my IT expert to check tax records and get back to you to see how far off I am.
quote:
Originally posted by Kenney

You’re re right Paul. Star Bulletin said “coconut wireless got it wrong. “. It was Hawaii, not Puna specifically but people sure thought it was.
Maybe when they checked land prices in Hawaii, they realized it was cheapest in Puna.

Not comfortable giving my street, but will ask my IT expert to check tax records and get back to you to see how far off I am.

Interesting how these stories spread. Back then a couple mainlanders told me it was Trump touting Puna as the place to buy.

Don't know if either one actually watched the show and directly heard it themselves though.

HPP was 4th fastest growing area of Hawaii from something like 2010-2016.
Mainland people (happily) paid over 100k for a lot in HPP and built

During the real estate boom, I remember at one point the lowest listed lot in HPP was $100,000. I believe this was around 2005-2006. A neighbor of mine was buying and selling regularly during this time. He bought a lot on 1st Street without an ocean view for $180,000, then sold it two months later for either $360,000 or $380,000. Right after the papers were signed the bottom dropped out of the market. Today that lot might still be worth only $130,000-$150,000???

Those were crazy times. Anyone who knew the difference between a hammer and a saw was hired as a carpenter. There were some shoddily constructed homes built in those years.

“Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man." - The Dude
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
As I recall this is pretty much true. I knew a guy who had bought a lot on the red road toward Kalapana in the 1990s for something like $80 K. He was besieged by offers in 2005. Each offer was higher.

He hadn't intended on selling, but when he was offered $250 K he did. Some people made crazy profits.
I bought a two acre lot in Orchidland for $12K in 2002 and sold it for $72K in 2006. I had several offers at that price.