Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Water Bottling Plant in Hilo Proposed
How many are outside Oahu..

Surely not enough.

And when folks cry the cost of living here can't compete.. well gee.. ain't that the truth. It doesn't change the fact that some people (us) live here, and that we need some version of commerce that makes living here that much more rewarding. High tech, programming, offers a lot of opportunities, and demands very little in return. And, could encourage a higher level of intelligence to live among us, go to our schools, etc. Isn't that the same argument that supports astronomy?
High tech, programming, offers a lot of opportunities, and demands very little in return.

Only in theory.

Most companies include management that can't quantify the workflow, so require their employees to be "in the office" where management can "see them working", at which point the company has to consider the best location -- availability of resources and talent is important, and Hawaii will lose because it lacks those things. That it's also expensive, far, and business-hostile becomes a secondary issue.

Defense contractors need to be near a military installation. The fact that we happen to have one is merely a coincidence.

Sole proprietors can live wherever they like. It's entirely possible that some of them were "born and raised", but more likely they have moved here, and would move again if an economic shift makes it impractical.

The practical reality is: our economy is tourism, retirees, and bloated government. Most hospitality jobs barely pay a living wage; the counties are busy shutting down AirBnB. Renovation of existing hotel sites (eg, Uncle Billy's) will be tied up in the permitting process for years. Government jobs aren't generally available. Anyone who dares suggest anything (telescope, water bottling plant, satellite launch facility, farm supply store) is immediately faced with an outraged populace who insist that the environmental harms will outweigh any possible benefit, even if the project can somehow be built "away from their house".

Again: is this a sustainable economy? Government doesn't care; they can just raise taxes again. What about the rest of us?
So... pedantic ! Picking nits at someone's choice of wording. Not surprising then that you have no substantive comment on "near permanent contamination of the environment" by plastics.

Your argument seems to be that the plastics problem, and by extension, any environmental degradation at man's hand doesn't matter, because "progress" or something.

I find it rather pernicious that you, Open-D, someone who doesn't live in Hawaii, have the gall to butt into a conversation about local issues here, and essentially tell us "yur doin it wrong".

You aren't doing it wrong. Nope, you're not even doing it.

BTW, words mean things.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
Jeremy - be careful.. he's a Gollum.. total waste of energy and will suck your's dry if given the chance.
Glinda, I've lost track of all the things you're against. Maybe it's quicker if you tell us what new businesses (if any) you would be in favor of.
quote:
Originally posted by glinda

Jeremy - be careful.. he's a Gollum.. total waste of energy and will suck your's dry if given the chance.

Did you ever stop to think there are measures less than total bans? Do you really think you can ban plastic without destroying much of the economy.

Why don't you follow my lead and never litter.

Speaking Truth to Lies / Facts to Ignorance
Well Open d, What measures are you referring to? Please expand.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Why don't you follow my lead and never litter.

That doesn't reduce the overall garbage created, it just organizes it more neatly, in fewer places.

What measures are you referring to? Please expand.

Yes.
I too would like to read about specifics, beyond a simple slogan, platitude, or libertarian cliche.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Let s/he without a plastic keyboard cast the next stone...