Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Delivery
So that was the only criteria for making this decision-age of the tanks?
No, age was a minor factor. The major one was that they were rusted when we moved in seven years ago, have been oshcoʻd and painted twice since then and are now in danger of catastrophic failure according to three different sources.
One more bit of information to share on this. Hawaii Catchment double bolts their sections while Island Catchment uses single bolts. Iʻm not sure how important this is but for what itʻs worth...
catastrophic failure 

I knew someone in lower HPP who had a tank with catastrophic failure.  Here’s what it looked like from the view of his wife who was standing in the kitchen window.  The full tank burst wide open in a matter of seconds.  It unleashed a tsunami toward the house.  Fortunately the house was on piers so it wasn’t exposed to the complete  impact of the wave.  Unfortunately the water went under the house and blew out most of their electrical system.
(02-13-2024, 10:47 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: catastrophic failure 

I knew someone in lower HPP who had a tank with catastrophic failure.  Here’s what it looked like from the view of his wife who was standing in the kitchen window.  The full tank burst wide open in a matter of seconds.  It unleashed a tsunami toward the house.  Fortunately the house was on piers so it wasn’t exposed to the complete  impact of the wave.  Unfortunately the water went under the house and blew out most of their electrical system.

I knew a guy in South Point who had a newer catchment tank that burst.   The water wasn't directed towards his home, but he had to use his swimming pool as his catchment after that.  His neighbor's tank also burst, his home was on post and pier and the water knocked it off the foundation.  The same company installed both tanks.  He didn't remember who it was.
If the tank was put together right initially and was not rusted it is hard to imagine how a corrugated steel tank would fail unexpectedly. Assuming a proper foundation, the metal is either thick enough or not and I imagine it starts out new with a healthy safety factor.
(02-13-2024, 10:47 PM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: catastrophic failure 

Bummer man!   Can you imagine the results in the unlikely event  a person happened to be adjacent to the tank when it blew out?
getting back in the Punaweb habit after rebuilding my system.

Keaau Service Station 808-966-9373 delivers 4500plus gallons for $222 to my house regularly. (No gutters) About once a month now that 4 of us are here.
Anyway I'm in HPP off Kaloli on 13. That matters because the further away the higher the cost. I was told our rate was about their cheapest.
In May (I think), 2020 I got recommendations from Punaweb for getting old BURST and do I mean BURST tank hauled off and a new one built.
I searched but could not find my posts about how well that went.
Anyway without absolute certainty I say the Catchment Dude, did it all for about or less than $5600.
"...delivers 4500plus gallons for $222 to my house regularly. (No gutters) About once a month..."

Maybe I am missing something here, but wouldn't gutters be cheaper - in the long run?
“A functioning, robust democracy requires a healthy, educated, participatory followership, and an educated, morally grounded leadership.” - Chinua Achebe
Everything is cheaper in the long run.
Simple realities; knowing that now and we actually knew that 19 years ago; still does not mean we had the money now or then to implement it.
The next absolutely spare $10K I have will be for that. The height, the piping, the internal filters and UV system... yes it really would be too close to 10 K.