Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cease building in Puna makai
The Soccer Moms are here.

I agree terracore.
I was at a small outdoor gathering the other evening and half the conversation was about getting up at 2:30 or 3:30 AM, making a cup of Kona coffee & switching on a computer for their job on the mainland.  Good, management or professional jobs.
I wonder how long they'll stay; hauling their own water, waiting in line at the Post Office, taking their own trash to the dump... Things go in cycles. I have a feeling there might be some bargains once the bloom is off the rose.
Certainty will be the death of us.
HPIA was created to keep the tax well from running dry.
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
(06-28-2021, 04:50 AM)kalianna Wrote: I wonder how long they'll stay; hauling their own water, waiting in line at the Post Office, taking their own trash to the dump...  Things go in cycles.  I have a feeling there might be some bargains once the bloom is off the rose.

I would normally agree, but the mainland seems to be turning into an apocalyptic hell-scape of triple digit temperatures and wildfires, and it's only June...
Some quotes on building in areas with potential hazards.  As a comparison to rock solid Puna (except when it's lava), here are notes about the recent building collapse near Miami:

perhaps in its foundation
just before the collapse... she saw "a sinkhole where the pool out her window used to be
it appears like the ground is creviced
"I've seen up and down the coast hundreds of buildings where you have concrete problems," Batista said. "If not maintained, whether it's a concrete problem or a settling problem -- it could be a bridge, it could be a building, it could be a dam or a sea wall
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/28/us/surfsi...index.html

All covered by insurance?  Probably.
(06-28-2021, 04:50 AM)kalianna Wrote: I wonder how long they'll stay; hauling their own water, waiting in line at the Post Office, taking their own trash to the dump...  Things go in cycles.  I have a feeling there might be some bargains once the bloom is off the rose.

These people don't haul water or trash.  They pay people to do it.  A lot of them are multi-generational- they didn't leave the mainland, they escaped it, bringing parents and / or adult children with them.

I agree that these things go in cycles, but this is the first time that real broadband is available almost everywhere, and also the first time that working from home is transitioning from being the exception to being the rule.

It used to be that there weren't any high-paying jobs in Puna, now people can bring their high paying jobs with them.  I've seen more out of state license plates in the last month than I've seen in the previous 8 years combined. Of course, some of them WILL go back, but maybe others will just take their place.
MyManoa, You were in error when you wrote "In other areas of high risk the state does not step in and require private industry give special consideration to a select group. They do not provide the same for those in flood zones. But here, for lava zones they flex their muscle and demand, under the threat of losing the right to do business in the state if one does not comply, that policies be written in LZ1 and LZ2."
The state does provide for flood insurance, as in most states, through your agent, backed by FEMA! https://cca.hawaii.gov/ins/consumers/flood/
Other states also have joint insurance for large scale natural events that can turn into disasters:
California earthquakes is just one of the biggies that prove the error in your beliefs on this! http://www.insurance.ca.gov/01-consumers...eq-ins.cfm
Of course, the absolutely only way to make sure that natural events do not turn into disasters is to remove the human constructs, as the disaster part is when human life & habitation are involved...but methinks not many of us are willing to get into that....
(06-29-2021, 04:22 PM)Carey Wrote: MyManoa, You were in error...

Hi Carey, thanks for your input, unfortunately, like HOTPE, I think you are missing my point.

I am saying that HPIA gives folks in lava zones access to conventional financing, whereas in our flood zones, no conventional financing is available.  

You can buy a lot in Leilani, put a few points down and walk with paper from any lender, covered by HPIA, and go around the corner and pull a building permit. whereas in Waipio Valley land is bought and sold for cash, or seller financing, only. There is no access to conventional financing. And god help you if you ever want to build.

Really, we are not comparing apples here.

And, still, I get it, it's a flood zone. Even the Army Corp has things to say before you get out of bed in the morning. But it's a free for all in our Lava Zones. Whereas, I think that policy should be reconsidered.
MyManoa, actually our county has placed certain areas of the lava indignation as areas that cannot get building permits in lower Puna, & these are not new...
IF a lender choses to lend on those parcels, that is on the lender, not the county...
As with flood zones, there are varying degrees of risk with lava inundation....pretty much NO WHERE on Kilauea is without high risk of inundation over a millennia & 60% of Mauna Loa has high risk of inundation in a millennia.... so if you state that no area of known high risk should be inhabited, then you should also, as I stated earlier, be advocating for the de-habitation of much of Kaʻ`u, South Kona & Hilo, as they actually hold much greater DISASTER potential than any Kilauea event, being known to be faster, higher volume & less predictable than Kilauea flows...
If you are only looking to the most recent flows, you are missing the real disaster potential here!
in our flood zones, no conventional financing is available

Instead, you get the National Flood Insurance Program.

county has placed certain areas of the lava indignation as areas that cannot get building permits

Is this fact recorded with the TMK so that everyone is aware of the restriction?

in Waipio Valley land is bought and sold for cash, or seller financing, only

No different than some of the Puna subdivisions that banks refuse to touch.

we are not comparing apples here

Perhaps, but it's definitely a fruit basket, which has started to draw flies as some of the fruit begins to rot.