Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Covid variant named Mu
(09-07-2021, 11:49 AM)AaronM Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/01/who-says...ed-mu.html

"It has mutations that have the potential to evade immunity provided by a previous Covid-19 infection or vaccination, the WHO said."

The WHO didn't say:

"Mu is resistant to the current vaccines and will require a new vaccine.  A booster shot will not do the trick with this one."

You made that up yourself. This is why sensible people don't think your posts are credible.
(09-08-2021, 02:26 AM)"AaronM Wrote: I would be just as alarmist [sic] and concerned if Canadians all of a sudden decided that they were sick of the snow or sick of their socialized medicine and were walking across our northern border, bringing in a new variant that originated in Calgary.

Also, I am not anti vaccine.  [...]

A classic example of whataboutery. You pick a ridiculous scenario to make whatever point it is you are trying to make, and, after saying you are not anti-vaccine, you post:

"Don't get all high and mighty with me when every single one of you pompous vaccinated people are asymptomatic carriers of the virus just like I am.

The sanctimonious attitude is ridiculous."

At least we're making a little progress, but I think you need to work on the claim that vaccinated people pose the same risk as the unvaccinated population when it comes to transmission. That simply isn't backed up by evidence, but of course, you'll twist and turn, misquote sources, post stuff that is verifiably untrue, and then insult people who don't believe the made-up nonsense you post.
(09-08-2021, 04:03 AM)AaronM Wrote: Don't get all high and mighty with me when every single one of you pompous vaccinated people are asymptomatic carriers of the virus just like I am. 

The sanctimonious attitude is ridiculous.
Since you were previously infected, the likelihood of spreading the virus to others from a new infection within you is drastically reduced, just as it is with those who've been vaccinated.  Natural immunity is a real thing, and you've got it.  

Regarding Mu, IMO you're making a mountain out of a molehill.  Protection against severe disease, and even to some degree infection, remains in place for those who've been vaccinated or sick previously with coronavirus.  

Mu is a variant of interest, that is all.  Considering it's been around since January, this variant is currently looking rather wimpy compared to Delta. 

"We will probably have a variant of what we call a variant of interest identified every few weeks," Chicago Department of Public Health Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady said Tuesday. "Like that's how this virus works. Variants of interest just mean we've seen a number of the same genetic mutations emerge and scientists around the world are on the lookout for it every single time. A virus anywhere in the world gets this genetic sequence, it gets updated into a database that's shared internationally, so we can really see what's emerging. When a variant of interest emerges, it says, 'Oh, this is something we should watch a little bit.'"
It's finally sunk in for me that there is no middle ground available in this discussion here on PW. The echo chamber in here is deafening.

What is interesting is that when I debate this issue in public in a one on one setting there is more openness and a fair exchange of ideas occurs. It's when there is a group of you that the rigid lockstep of peer pressure rears it's ugly head. Each poster trying to out do the previous with snide insults attempting to shame me for my own ideas or personal beliefs.

Regardless, I remain one of the 40 Million who have contracted Covid and not fallen victim to it.

I blame the last 10 years or so of political bickering that has backed this country into separate corners with no room for earnest debate, only my side good your side bad.

We see this on Capitol Hill today with the absence of cross aisle decision making. That Covid has been reduced to a blue vs red issue is a shame and we are not the better for it.

I'll stop here as I hear the footsteps of our Keep it Local editor/publisher (mea culpa Rob).
The only way someone would know they had tested positive to COVID would be they were symptomatic & went for a confirmation test, or they were asymptomatic & found out on a routine check (like to travel).
Either way, some one who states they tested positive had to have been in close enough contact with someone else who passed the virus, without taking the proper protective measure to not get the less infectious, less virulent variant of the virus.
Either way, the person who tested positive went out to amongst others (yah, potentially exposing health care professionals) to get that confirmation.
this is why folks are concerned... this same person who did not keep the earlier, less virulent variant of this virus is now supposedly sure they will not, once again, do the same things that got them infected in the first place...
Based on the way they convolute the known research to make it seem like "their way" is an OK way.... I doubt they really will consider the health of health care professionals any more than they did in the past...
Durian -

Mu may have been around since January (I'm assuming in it's origin country) but it was not discovered in Los Angeles until June. That the WHO only just added it to their list of VOIs on August 30th made it worthy of discussion IMHO.

Some will dismiss it as it is yet to be designated as a VOC, but given it's potential to genetically modify itself to become more transmissible is concerning. That it may be able to escape the current immune response that the current vaccines and antibodies provide is alarming.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't come to that but it's always good to have an eye on the horizon.
there is no middle ground available in this discussion here on PW

Might have something to do with living on an island. We can't drive to another hospital.

Back to the topic at hand:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/09/0...s-low-now/

Experts "don't consider Mu a threat". Great.
Might want to read the following from the CDC regarding variants:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nco...-info.html
Puna:  Our roosters crow first!
Regardless, I remain one of the 40 Million who have contracted Covid and not fallen victim to it.

40 million people who are now potential petri dishes, possibly incubating COVID variants.  If only one creates and mutates a more deadly strain of COVID in their body, then passes it on to others, is that a choice that only affects them?

Can they really believe that the 320 million other Americans who choose not to be a walking COVID sweatshop have no place in their decision?
So all 40 Million who contracted Covid were knuckle dragging anti vaxxers? Mouth breathing anti maskers? Less than 6 foot elbow rubbers? The view must be amazing up there on your high horse.