Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet flying over HPP for last half hour at 4:00 am
Uh, I don't want to be argumentative, kalianna, but I know several people who live very near there in HPP and don't know the terrain. If the Trib article simply said she lived nearby, rather than specifically saying she knew the terrain, we can't assume that she did.
Really? How can anyone live here for very long and not go down to the coast and see the cliffs, the rocks, the high surf or read about the drownings, and cliff collapses?
Must be my military background, but apparently you and I have very different definitions of "know the terrain." Lots of people, some of whom live within blocks of the cliffs, just don't ever go there for lots of reasons. Reading about drownings and cliff collapses in no way implies knowing the terrain.
(02-27-2024, 08:24 PM)kalianna Wrote: TomK, she knew the terrain because, according to the Trib, she lived nearby in HPP.

You are making assumptions. Neither you nor I know if she knew the terrain. For instance, despite living for well over 2 decades in HPP, I don't know the terrain at Maku'u Point because I've only ever gone there once.
(02-28-2024, 03:26 AM)kalianna Wrote: Really?  How can anyone live here for very long and not go down to the coast and see the cliffs, the rocks, the high surf or read about the drownings, and cliff collapses?

How many times have there been cliff collapses in HPP?
Here is one from 2021 :
"A 36-year-old man fishing from the top of a cliff at Hawaiian Paradise Park fell about 30 feet after a section of the cliff’s edge collapsed early today, the Hawaii County Fire Department said.

Seven units with a dozen firefighters responded to the cliffs at the end of Paradise Drive just after 3 a.m."
(02-28-2024, 06:08 AM)TomK Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 08:24 PM)kalianna Wrote: TomK, she knew the terrain because, according to the Trib, she lived nearby in HPP.

You are making assumptions. Neither you nor I know if she knew the terrain. For instance, despite living for well over 2 decades in HPP, I don't know the terrain at Maku'u Point because I've only ever gone there once.

So, would you go down there at 2AM and walk the cliffs? In other words, I think that's a safe assumption to make.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make - I certainly wouldn't walk the cliffs at Maku'u Point at 2 am. Even if I'd been on the cliffs several times, I don't think I'd be walking the cliffs at that time. Fishing, maybe, but not walking, but when I have fished I stick to places I know. But we don't know if the victim knew the terrain, and we don't know for sure why she was there. So it's not a safe assumption to make but your post is unclear. What if she was forced rather than choosing to be there? None of these facts are known right now.
Of course you don't.
"What if she was forced rather than choosing to be there?"

If there was anything nefarious going on I doubt that he would have thrown her the raft to give her a better chance of telling her story. I'm not assuming anything, just saying it's unlikely.