Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romano's Macaroni Grill opening tomorrow
I was trying to remember what the name of the fast food place that, as I recall, is kinda at the rear of the Hilo downtown KTA. I'm one of those dispicable 29 year old babyboomer old geezers so my memory might not have the location totally correct. I thought it was pretty decent for fast food. Their miso soup was very good for a fast food joint. Anyone know which one I'm thinking of?

Also for early (as in before noon) takeout, there is Lucys Okazuya. There is no seating as it's strictly takeout. The food is great with a supprising variety. The have musube which I would pass on as there is better to be had elsewhere. They usually have the traditional hawaiian tunafish sushi which is very good. Their shoyu chicken is different and very good if not a little too sweet. Well worth checking out if it's still there, but they were generally sold out before noon.
Lucy's Okazuya
177 Kaumana Dr
Hilo, HI 96720-1935 Tel: (808) 933-1743

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
when you shop for clothing at chain stores, they don't go by the climate/weather in hawai'i. whatever they're selling on the continent, they're going to sell here.

we can still buy shorts at the kailua, o'ahu store.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

That is a huge marketing mistake! But it is the way things work. Macy's should be selling resort wear at the very least. Most stores on the mainland have a section for that. Still, all of that cold weather gear will go to waste and they will be marking it down like crazy after Christmas. It is insane to Merchandise in that way. You can probably find shorts year round at online merchants and if you buy through Amazon.com they will ship for free. Stores like REI sell shorts all year. My husband has several of their pants with "zip off" legs that make into shorts. They come in various thicknesses and they are great for when you go between climates or on a plane.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
About the Macy's marketing ...
it isn't insane as you think it is ... you aren't in the fashion retail business. I have a degree in Fashion Merchandising and Manufacturing (from a former life, it seems now), so I do get it.

Store's like Macy's have regional buyers; it does vary from region to region.

Some clothing companies produce one kind of clothing that is their niche.
Others produce seasonal lines ... they have collections, which are manufactured at a certain time to be shipped at a certain time. "Resort" is a short season beginning in January, which is aimed at people who take winter vacations and cruises to sunny climes.

There are companies in Hawai'i that produce only resort wear, and if you go to the KONA Macy's where the visitors show up needing clothes, you will find shorts, no doubt. Hilo Macy's caters to residents.

Residents need to buy winter clothing because
a) maybe they're going to the mainland to visit family or on a ski vacation?
You think they should go to the stores and find nothing but shorts to buy for their trip to Boston in December?

b) the longer you live here, you adapt. I just got out my sweaters and fuzzy slippers. My son showed up for Thanksgiving wearing his new very warm hooded sweatshirt.

c) the higher elevations are COLD in winter. Few houses have heat here.

The point being, relative newcomers may bemoan the shortage of resort wear in November, but island-adapted people do want some winter clothes. Macy's and Walmart wouldn't be carrying this stuff this year if no one had bought it last year.

And, far from all chain stores carrying the same thing, you will find different clothes in Macy's Ala Moana than in Hilo, or Kona, or on Maui. Some collections will be in all the stores, but others are only ordered for Oahu, which is more urban and sophisticated, has more working women who wear suits and heels, etc..

Macy's is a great store for bargains because unlike boutiques, Macy's merchandises coordinated collections and it's main displays feature a complete range of sizes and colors and bodies in any one collection. When most of a collection has sold out such that there isn't enough left to display, it moves to clearance. (First it will be put on sale, and then on clearance.)

Macy's caters to people who want the new look, the current look, so for those who are willing to buy stuff that is "so three months ago" -- it can be cheaper than Walmart and of better quality. The same applies to patterns of dishes and bedding that are not stock lines that never change. I just got a set of 400 thread count cotton sheets that were originally over $100 for $20 ...

Macy's sells clearance items below cost, but there's method to the madness, as otherwise the store would be a hodgepodge of dissimilar items, and it would no longer be Macy's. There are people buy stuff full price there, though I'm not one of them. Even in Hilo, there are women who buy themselves a new designer purse at $300 a pop every month or so ... I know, I've talked to the sales clerks.

There are a lot of lifestyles here on the island, and there's an awful lot of SHOULDS and SHOULDN'T's thrown around on Punaweb. Why not accept the diversity of lifestyles? If you want to come and be accepted, then part of that is to come and accept.
Hi Loretta,
I have lived here for many years and never noticed that the locally grown produce is of inferior quality. I have a large garden, and find nothing better than my own homegrown vegetables, excess veggies and fruits from my neighbors, or ones fresh from the farmer#699;s market. They are less expensive, more nutritious because they are fresher, and better. Yes, maybe the variety is not there that you can find in some grocery stores on the mainland, or the variety is different than accustomed to, but that#699;s ok, at least for me. It is kind of the same attitude that is healthy to have about a garden. If I want to grow a fruit or vegetable that I love, I try. If it does not work out after a couple of plantings, ok. Over the years, I have found what can and cannot be grown. Sometimes I miss a good fresh peach, but it is not really that important because there are so many just as delicious varieties of fruits that can be locally grown.

One thing I have learned over all the years is that it is not worth it to get tweaked if a store is out of something. Even Walmart is out of items at times. Usually something else can be substituted or plans for what to cook can be altered.

There are lots of places that shorts can still be found in Hilo. If your preferred store is Macy#699;s, I am sure you will remember your experience next year and pick up your shorts in the other seasons. Yes, it seems silly for the buyer not to stock shorts cause we do have some hot days in the Winter, but on the other hand even here in the lowlands, I am sitting here eating lunch, in sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt and I am still chilly.

Anyway, the trade offs are important to me. I would rather see the character of Hilo, it#699;s small town atmosphere, retained than have it turn into a Kona or a strip of even more chain restaurants and big box stores, so indicative of Anywhere USA. Of course, my husband says I am an unusual woman, lacking what he calls, the shopping gene.
I too like the small town quality of Hilo.

Unfortunately, the number of cars in the parking lots has gotten crazy since I moved to this side 5 years ago. It was not stressful then to go to any of the shopping centers and simply park, unlike now.

A lot of the new crowding must be a result of the growth explosion in Puna, all the new homes and residents who have to go to Hilo for far too many goods and services. Hilo has not grown much, but the population it serves has ... and that changes Hilo.

As it seems the population of Puna is here to stay and grow, I do think it's time for there to be new shopping and dining in Puna to lessen the strain on 130. Keeping Puna rural and quaint by blocking that is not fair to Hilo.

Newcomers to Puna, like in this last year or two, unless you visited a lot previously, you do not see how much the growth has impacted Hilo and made it less pleasant to navigate.

I'm writing this because I need to go to town and get a couple things in the area of Walmart ... and five years ago it would have been a laid back errand, but today I am procrastinating because I don't feel like driving up and down the parking aisles and dealing with the crowded stores.

Re the Big Box - I am glad that Home Depot came to Hilo. I renovated a house over here when HPM and Ace were the big options, and even if you like HPM - they are way nicer now than they were when they didn't have competition. Nicer to the individual homeowner, they may have always treated contractors well, I wouldn't know.
PS. Re the shorts crisis ... yes, if you live here, you probably already have shorts as you head into winter. Thanksgiving is not a time I go to buy NEW shorts on this side of the island -- but they are probably at Sears if you check.

Four years ago, when I was planning a trip to Ireland in June, I had to buy the warmer clothing I'd need in January, because I knew it wouldn't be in the stores here in May. So it works both ways.

Sorry to be obnoxious about the retail thing in my post before this, but I realized afterwards that I get somewhat irritated at the attitude I often see in visitors and newbies that Hawai'i has no real seasons ... It does, and the longer you live here and away from the more drastic seasonal changes on the mainland, one becomes in tune with that.

People often move here who are sick of winter, understandably. But I think there's something about the human spirit that needs the rhythm of seasonal change, of the cycle, and after being here for awhile, you will likely embrace our more subtle shifts ... we even have deciduous trees ...

Locals can hardly wait to buy Santas and snowmen ... and bring the faux cold here ... it was in the stores before Halloween this year. Personally I wish they wouldn't trot out the Christmas crap until after Thanksgiving, but I'm clearly in the minority.
gotta tell ya, kathyh, that wintery clothing is at our macy's in kailua, o'ahu. lots of velour, too. shorts are on clearance at rock bottom prices. gosh, everything seems to be on sale and at good prices and even better prices with the coupons.

i worked in high end retail/boutiques. our merchandise was identical to that of the continent. hence, the reason for my previous post. our uniforms changed by the season and yes, we wore wool.

yep. knew we were going to vegas this december, so shopped clearance at the beginning of the year. got a nice hoodie from armani exchange for, get this, $20 bucks. unbelievable. regular retail: $125. i am and will forever remain, a bargain hunter. doesn't matter if it's designer or budget. just has to be on sale.

oh, oh...this thread has surely been hijacked. sorry!

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james