Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chili
Puna's Pele's Revenge! That's great! I'd love to help. (when i get there in june)[Sad]
Abe, I think it may take till June to get the peppers. Let's do it for fun, not profit, as a colaboration! We can make up the sauce and split it up between us. We can do it at my house. We can eat and drink while we cook, it will be fun. We need peppers, vinegar, canning jars or bottles, some additional items like sugar and spices or fruit purees. LOTS of rubber gloves too. We can do a few different flavors. When do peppers generally fruit at peak in Hawaii? They need to be very ripe for maximum heat. Then if we think this sauce is worthy of sharing and selling, we can make more.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Buzz, that is a great story. I have a good friend who owns a salad dressing company in Boise and she has so many stories about what it takes to make and sell a product.

I really wasn't thinking of making it as a profitable enterprise, but that could be fun too. Let's play with the idea and some recipes and then decide if we want to sell it or just have it on hand as "private reserve".

quote:
Originally posted by Buzz

Whats the old saying "variety is the spice of life" I think that saying would apply to most every product produced on the island. Aunty Lele's might appeal to some but perhaps puna pele's revenge might appeal to others.

I think the market is wide open for most condiments, but I think it's the marketing that can make or break a business.

A couple who I've known for years found themselves between a rock and a hard place. John & Linda are the sweetest couple you'd ever want to meet. I think their story is inspiring for anyone thinking that theres not room in the market for their own product.

http://www.animaljohn.com/page%201%20how...o%20be.htm

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Dick, you are right, those two would make a killer sauce. You do not have to dry them to make a sauce though, you can roast them or smoke them or use them raw too. Anyway, how many plants are you growing? I think that the Hawaiian Peppers with another hotter one would also be good. It does have to make you sweat behind the ears for sure! This is going to be my last post today, as I am sure I have gone over my limit. But let's plan a Puna Pepper Party and we can get together and figure this all out. We don't arrive on island till January 5th, but any time after that we are avaialable.

quote:
Originally posted by DickWilson

Devany; Go for it! If we could come up with a Puna sauce that takes your breath away, makes you sweat on top of the head and behind the ears we'll be there. I'll be growing the Naga as well as the Red Savina Habanero this year. Dried and ground, the two should make a killer chili powder.

dick wilson

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
Can I get in on this pepper venture? I have the smokers if we ever went commerical. Also I'm in the process of building a large dehydrator we can use.

Nothing that I like better than doing new things, and if a dollar can be made all the better.

The Lack
I don't dry them to make sauce, I dry them to make chili powder for cooking. I'm all for the pepper party. We should arrive approx. 29 Jan.
And Ya, Lack the more the merrier in any pepper get together or sauce making endeavor.
dick wilson
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Great then, LET'S DO IT! [}Smile]

As soon as I get on the island, I will be planting some chiles and anyone else that can grow them let's get them going. I would love some savina powder too Dick. We should have a harvest by late spring and then we can get cooking! The way the stock market has been going maybe we should consider selling it! I think we have to test some recipes and get to work.

Here is another pepper challenge. Has anyone had the much more mild (but delicously flavorful) Basque Pepper Piment D Espelete? I LOVE the flavor of them and managed to get a few seeds to germinate this summer, but when we were in Hawaii our house sitter did not water them and they were toast when I got home. This pepper sells for over $200 a pound dried. I buy it by the ounce at whole foods. It is from a region in Spain along the French border(Hot-Sunny Summers... Punaesque). Now, if we could somehow get those to germinate and explore the possibilities of making our own dried seasoning with it. It has a nice kick, not serious burn, but deep flavor that cannot be compared with any other pepper I have ever tasted. They are also great pickled and fresh but the only place you can get them is in the Basque Region.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com
I too will plant chili's and do research on what can grow easily. Unfortunately (or fortunately) i am moving to an A'a filled land and will grow solely organically. So i'm not sure what type of soil to use but....Can't wait. Oh, and Devany, growing for our pleasure and THEN if it's good enough is exactly what i had in mind. [Smile]
Funny... we use chili's like a weed!

We only plant them where we don't want the pigs to roam on the farm.

Then, as they ripen... we pick them... use what we need for chili pepper water for the year...Then make the rest into a pesticide for the areas around the house.

I swear these chili's are hotter then anything you guys have been talking about!

We have to use latex gloves when using them because the burn is so much that it will burn your hands after a while.[:0]

I'd give anyone on Punaweb $5.00 if they could eat 10 of these buggahs w/out drinking water for 10 minutes.

Anyone up to the challenge? I'd even film it and blog about it![^]

-------
My Blog
$5? Yeah, I'll get right on that.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.