Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City of Paradise Park?
That is why I like the spending tax. The more you spend you more you tax you pay.

Home and food should never be taxed. They are like having a "life tax" or "air tax".

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
The Wilder Side Of Hawaii
Greg, I kinda agree. The whole concept of funding local government is flawed. I'd wage that the million dollar home gets LESS county services than the $400K home and both get less than many living in the $100K house.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
I think all of you know that the new Pahoa Fire Station and Police Department is gonna be closer to HPP.
quote:
Originally posted by Jon: Rural remember... that means no services...

Yep a nice retail district along 130 and a Pahoa sales tax would give the "Town" of Pahoa funds to add some services.... oh wait... rural... I have to remember that.

Rural does mean fewer and slower services, but we all know that much of Puna that is "zoned" rural is really residential. It may be nice to keep Puna generally rural in nature but much of it ceased being that when the county allowed it to be subdivided in the manner it was. Much is pure residential but with poor services. The county needs to face reality and call things what they are and serve them accordingly. It seems the county, by intention, wanted to keep the commercial tax base in Hilo and Kona. Thats fine, many countys like to keep the commercial tax base centralized to support the ballance of the county. However, some more commercial centers in the outlying areas would seem to make sense in a lot of ways.

quote:
Originally posted by David M: Greg, I kinda agree. The whole concept of funding local government is flawed. I'd wage that the million dollar home gets LESS county services than the $400K home and both get less than many living in the $100K house.

Resulting in an off topic rant:
Lower cost population areas do very often have many more calls for services. Part is a natural result of substandard housing (fire and code services) but many fire, EMS and police calls a because over the last 30 years people have been trained to call for fire, police and EMS for the most idiotic reasons. When ems is called for a cold or simple cut they should be able to tell the people to carry their own asses to the clinic or take some aspirn and go to bed. Instead, they give them an ambulance ride and an ER visit that the county pays for, not them. The same with police. Their services are often wasted for the most inane calls. The police babysit them and raise their children or mediate silly squabbles because they can't tell them to solve their own problem and call when you really need help. More wasted services that the county pays for. EMS generally can't refuse to transport anyone who asks for it for liability reasons. For political reasons, the police generally have to respond to and handle all calls many which should not be police calls. By not telling people to solve their own minor problems we perpetuate and increase a culture of not taking responsibility for yourselves, and wast valuable resourses. This results in higher taxes for everyone that pays taxes and poor response times. When my kids were still in schood doing Science Fair projects I saw a kids project where he laid it all out pretty well providing the proof with public records. Well, not my whole rant but the part about the areas that made the most noise about not getting their "fair share" of services actually recieved a disproportionate share of them. The editorial of why was my opinion. When the dog wakes me in the midst of my sleep to go out you can expect more nonsensical rants.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Mahalo, these are points well taken. I guess MY point is that population density carries weight also. The ten thousand people in HPP shouldn't have to expect fewer services than the two hundred or so millionaires in Kona Bay Estates. On a broader scale, East Hawaii's greater population offsets Kohala's higher tax base.

Misuse of services can be reduced with education, but it's only natural that more population equals more calls for police, ambulance, fire, etc.
How many people are in HPP? I believe there are 8000 lots, with about 25% built on, but that would be 2000 households and so it's unlikely it would be 10000 people. Anyone have better numbers?
there are 8800 lots. i haven't been able to find a current population est. all the #s in the pcdp are 1999. But if you watch the amount of traffic coming out of the 4 Drives on a weekday morning 10k mite even be low
Remember to add in a good percentage for the "Off the radar" residents not listed in the stats, all those unpermitted cabins, campers and squatters.
Some of those numbers look about right, no idea where they got them from.

But what about: Houses: 2,654 Households: 7,081
How does that work?
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

The ten thousand people in HPP shouldn't have to expect fewer services than the two hundred or so millionaires in Kona Bay Estates.
Why not? If the few are paying the lion's share, why shouldn't they expect more and better services?