Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did you bring your bed w/ you?
Yes! I bought a used sofa-bed from The Home Place AND a new full-sized mattress. I left the original "mattress" on the always-open sofa-bed, and sleep on the new mattress. I think the sofa-bed was was $179 or so. Its a little higher than a normal bed, but I'm happy with the total price, and I wouldn't be too comfortable with a used mattress in a tropical rainforest. I threw the sofa cushion innards out, but saved the zippered cases, just in case I ever get a real bed (had no idea about the expense).
I'd tried to find Furniture Stores in the Big Island, but found only the Kona side had webpages. Hmm.
My Real Estate Agent told me about The Home Place. I go back & shop every time I come. Got a cube fridge for $30, a wine holder (iron and marble) that hold my cooking appliances (so my formica doesn't melt), and a open-air metallic Wardrobe (?) that lets me dry towels and bathing suits, as well as holding my laundry supplies! Always an interesting trip.
I built almost all our furniture and will bring it with when I finally get to move. I will also buy new matresses and ship them with the other stuff. Nice thing about new matresses is they are already wrapped in fairly thick plastic and they make nice padding for the other stuff in the container.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
we brought our cal-king with us from o'ahu. that baby cost big bucks! it fits nicely in our bedroom, but was too large for our smaller room in kailua. if/when we have to buy another bed, i'd think quite hard about the size. bedding, too, is quite expensive. i have allergies, too, and use pillow protectors and a mattress pad that are washable.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

We have a Cal King from Costco- the foam thing. Recommended from our friends here, and I love it. Not sure how long it will last, but we both find it great. For about $700.
Foam was not my choice: was always told a good mattress with a good innerspring mattress was the only way. This mattress is great. Not too hot, not sagging: I will let you know after a few more years
And by the way, I bought a very good mattress cover at Ross.... $25. Only one was available, but I love this bed now!
I moved here from the mainland two yrs ago and didn't bring anything with us, only a few boxes shipped by USPS. After the first two cold nights on the floor over an air mattress (and coming from Denver, we used to the cold), I ran to J&J and bought a complete set of bed and didn't care how much it costs. A year later, bought a twin bed from the same store.
Got a living room and dining sets from Agasa. Are they still in business, especially Agasa? I've been thinking of going there for a pair of comfy chairs for watching TV (my beach chair is killing me, LOL). Yes, the furniture here is expensive. So, we only bought what is really needed.

Val
Salvation Army and Goodwill are not allowed to accept mattress donations, so they don't sell them ...

Mattresses can have bedbugs ... they are one thing I like to buy NEW ... [:p]
I'm not sure how to check for bedbugs; there's probably a way.
I hear that hotels in Waikiki are having issues with them.
Ewww bed bugs. I was mostly referring to Goodwill, etc. for other furniture. I agree, I prefer to have a bed new or in excellent condition from a single owner.
Ah, I hadn't realized we were shifting to furniture ...
There is both a Goodwill and a Salvation Army, cerbopoli ...
whether they have good stuff is another question.

In December I went looking for a coffee table to go with (not match) a loveseat and chair. It needed to be round to go over a round rug, and otherwise I was open. Nothing over here so I did some looking in Kona, and people kept wanting to show me $500 and up tables.

I was going, where are the used, odd pieces, you know? This is not in my league.
Finally found one for $60 that was an odds and ends piece at that used furniture place in the old industrial next to True Value Hardware. And it was perfect. Found a side table at the Home Place on Maka'ala in Hio. Found the loveseat and chair at Bamboo and Teak across the street from the Home Place.

My bed, desk, and dining room chairs I bought at Furnitureland, on sale. Kohnen's is out of my league. Furnitureland is expensive but in terms of value at least they don't sell pressboard, mostly.

Funny, I've sold on craigslist but never bought on it.
I just recently got a platform bed from j&j hardware for like $350 for the frame, and got my mattress from home place for around 400-ish. Luckily you don't need a box spring for platform beds.

Man furniture is expensive here.

Matt