Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying tour helicoptors
I am worried about Felicia, but I will only freak out about Felicia when and if she fails to fall apart. Got incredible concerned about Flossie, and the day she "hit" there was not a breath of wind in my yard, much less gale force winds.

It's too soon to tell.
It's always good to have some supplies and batteries and be ready for a power outage.

There is a topic going on the storm threat to Hilo, started by jade, and it's being discussed. It's just not titled Hurricane Felicia.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

So, to all of you that have been bothered by helicopter noise, how many of you have filed a formal complaint each time it happened with the FAA's FSDO?

EXACTLY!

Here in SD after enough people complained,the night flights in the airport were canceled.
"imagine trying to have that pleasure with everything shaking and overwhelming noise such as reminds you of Apocalypse Now"

Exactly how low are these birds flying? I've been on a couple of volcano/waterfall flights with visitors and we stayed way, way above any houses. In HPP we sometimes get choppers involved in rescue flying low and slow; they can be a bit loud but nothing shakes.

Someone else said:
"On a bad day, as often as every two or three minutes"
Where do you live, Hilo Airport?
Because the helicopters fly VFR they stay below the clouds.When it is cloudy/rainy inland they hug the coast and fly between tree top level and the base of the clouds.In Kapoho they pass by every 2 or 3 minutes flying in as direct a line as possible from the Ocean entry to the Hilo airport.
This sometimes goes on all day and I don't see how someone can compare this to a once a month drug helicopter overflight.
I too have given up on the Coquis and have resorted to earplugs at night.
I would prefer not to have to use earplugs in the day time.
Since the Ocean entry is by far the most popular flight, why aren't they originated from the kalapana area? The new lava plain across from Uncle Roberts at Kaimu is state land. A perfect site for a heleport. The flights could take off, head straight out over the ocean, turn directly to the flow and avoid all residential areas.

Visitors could come to the area by shuttle bus or rental car. I can't speak for Uncle robert, but I know he and his ohana encourage entrepreneurship in their area. I'm pretty sure most people in lower puna would prefer the visitors drive here instead of fly over.

edit: spelling

punatoons
Greg - I think that's a great idea, but! There would probably be a considerable outcry by some of the nearby residence, as there was when there was a helipad in the Volcano Golf Course area. The amount of noise a helicopter makes to lift off is by far greater (when isolated in a rural environment) that one might imagine.