Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Public Art in Puna
Yes, excellent point. Ditto to Greg.

The systemic issues our country facing our nation must take first priority.

Although it's one among many, Greg points out the big issue, imho.

Remember when the Soviet Union was described as, "A midget with a mighty right arm"?

The midget with the mighty right arm may make one hell of a piano player, but there's no money left to buy the piano.

They say music is math. Maybe it is a humanizing math.

Whatever the arts do, they play a vital role in promoting the health of a free and self governing society.

I think most modern, free societies recognize this and make the arts possible thru various policies.

However we do it, bringing the arts back into our schools and public places would be an enormous improvement across the board, imho.

quote:
Originally posted by JWFITZ

Hi Steven,

I'd support those values in theory, but not in principle. Here's why. Priorities. A child with rotten teeth is not in a position to appreciate art much, nor attend school, nor get much anywhere in life. Rather that kid sits in a heap, feels sick, and hurts. It makes very little difference what the reason is that this given child suffers from health problems or who's to blame, but the fact there are real pressing needs out there, needs that disadvantage some for life(lack of dental care being one BIG one. Single greatest cause of missed school in the US.) So sure, art is very, very important, but having people well enough that they're in a position, both because of health and education, to appreciate it is a primary responsibility of government. One our government is perhaps singular in its neglect. There's no sense making art for sick baboons to enjoy.

So no. No way I could support spending money on art is bad idea while so much in the "hierarchy of needs" goes woefully unmet. At this moment every dime is spoken for, and many will still go wanting.

Perhaps the traditional model of "patronage" of the arts is a better idea.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
Can someone loan me a paragraph?

[quote]Originally posted by LeeE

Yes, excellent point. Ditto to Greg.

The systemic issues our country facing our nation must take first priority.

Although it's one among many, Greg points out the big issue, imho.

Remember when the Soviet Union was described as, "A midget with a mighty right arm"?

The midget with the mighty right arm may make one hell of a piano player, but there's no money left to buy the piano.

They say music is math. Maybe it is a humanizing math.

Whatever the arts do, they play a vital role in promoting the health of a free and self governing society.

I think most modern, free societies recognize this and make the arts possible thru various policies.

However we do it, bringing the arts back into our schools and public places would be an enormous improvement across the board, imho.

Lee Eisenstein
http://members.cruzio.com/~lionel/event

"Be kinder than necessary, as everyone you meet is engaged in some kind of strudel."
I'm really suprised at how, in order to support this idea, some will pull up so many unrelated topics.

First we are depriving the kids. I think Jay put this in perspective well.

Then we are apparently "causing vandalism", although indirectly. The argument has been raised at least twice that if we don't have art, that places will be vandalized. I don't know where this even comes from.

Then we bring the military budget in here, as if this is a moral equivalent. I seem to remember back in the late 1700's, when Hamilton and the boys were forming the federal government, that the primary purpose of a federal goverment and collecting federal taxes was to support a national militia, i.e. protection of the nation. Personally, I think this number should be as close to 100% as possible, less a few administrative costs.

There may have been some other comments that those who oppose an 'art tax' are against art, which is simply not true. I think many families would like alot of things, but we have to budget and prioritize everything, it's just a reality.

Then there's the fingerpointing and comments that those who are opposed to an art tax are "uncultured", like we are savages or uncivilized. This is what we are accused of when we offer a differing yet valid opinion.

Then to suggest that since those in construction are unfairly getting a bigger share of the pie than 'starving artists', and that we should somehow even this out is a scary concept. So we should be forced to employ an artist every time we hire a plumber. So now we have brought in to this argument class envy, somehow plumbers are some sort of wealthy elite and artists are oppressed. The arguments here are deteriorating rapidly.

The argument that this is only 1% means different things to different people, especially when it is suggested that this be also paid for by those who don't support it. As I remember, the Revolutionary War was fought over only a few percent. Now we can make 1% for this and 1% for that, this can add up, and when we each have our own budgets to keep, we all have to do without things we would like to have.

I think the folks who don't support an 'art tax' have been making some valid and clear points, and to refer to them as 'trolls' is a little uncalled for.
I think this has been a good conversation. Who called anyone a troll?

Fitz has a good point. Everyone is an artist.

I also think he's mistaken to suggest that successful artists are a product of privilage rather than hard work and dedication.

I'm sure that the most profound artists throughout history were exposed (forced to look at?) great public art. Maybe one of our children or grandchildren will be inspired to move people through art.

Art's not as dangerous as some folks think, and worth a percent of a municipal building's budget.

punatoons

Myself, I think I'll have a cookie while watching this cartoon
http://www.truemajority.org/oreos/
and pondering a Puna in which basic necessities (such as dental care for schoolchildren) are met in Maslow's hierarchy of needs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_...y_of_needs
and the kiddos can not only focus on their studies but be aesthetically stimulated by and proud of their beautiful school and community.

There is enough money present and available, already, for kids to attend school without toothaches and hunger -and without either raising taxes a dime or cutting the 1% For Art program.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.
J.R.R. Tolkien

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(
I agree, but where is that money going? Not to the kids. Toothaches, hunger, and prostitution are the order of the day to make a life for themselves.

No kidding. That's reality.
Jay, I miss your point. Are you volunteering to sell your guitar and donate the money to a dental clinic?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Would fixing all the missing front teeth in Puna qualify as public art?

talking about scaring of the gentle folk. Its the number one comment I seem to get on our informal tours.
I'm still going with a Carhenge. Good spot would be at 130 and 132. That way a lot of people "get" to see it while stuck in traffic. Grafitti and vandalism would only add to the charm.......

I'm sort of serious about this.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Maybe carhenge can have a dental clinic - utilitarian art I have a 1959 el camino in storage if you need fins .... Truckhenge?