Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pizza Hut In Keaau
One thing to remember about Costco is that as far as corporations go, they have an excellent reputation for paying good wages, providing excellent fringes, and promoting from within. They are about as opposite as you can get from Walmart in most respects.

Edited by - toucano on 09/19/2006 22:06:36
Toucano is right about Costco's reputation for being employee friendly. I know someone who works at KTA and says the starting pay there is $7.50 per hour. That said, not everything at Costco is a good deal. Some things actually cost more than at the regular stores, especially when the regular guys have sales.

Aloha,
Jerry

Went to the site to solve this question on hwy 130 (Yesterday) where a new costco has been proposed. There is a huge foundation carved out (about the size of a department store). I walked over to one of the d9 operators during his break and asked him if he knew what was going in here. He replied "Costco".

Costco is not always the cheapest place. They are very savvy. There are also many different sizes of Costco stores. Some very large and some pretty small.

Go to a Costco intending to buy just X and you walk out with X,Y, and Z. I also found that as soon as I discovered something I liked there, it would soon not be there. Frustrating. Selection for many kinds of items can be very limited. You want Model X of Brand Y? Probably not going to find it. But if you are flexible, you might get a good buy on something more or less comparable.

I was talking to one of the crew that was pouring the slab for our garage yesterday and he also said it was Costco going in at the 130 site. It appears the local union is gearing up for the job and looking for workers for the “Costco Project”.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Which also shows that doing the research may not get all the answers...When we bought our house last year, that area was ag with a potential for light retail/industrial! Bright side, we will be almost as close as any outer parking to a Costco!!!! Down side, we will be almost as close as any outer parking to a Costco!!!
Further reason for everyone to show up at any planning meeting like the Shipman meeting this summer, these plans can morph quickly into something you may not have anticipated....(really did think that the Costco plan would be either in Hilo or at the intersection of 11 & 130 - even at the Shipman meeting this summer, Costco was brought up & there was mild speculation of a very future potential by the Shipman people - Those sites made more sense to me, more trafric dilution at the other two sites....Hope they make larger turn lanes & more access from 130 into the site (the Milo light is not really Costco sized at this point.....) That could really effect the traffic on 130 if it is not done right. If you use the 130 route into Hilo, now may be the time to check what traffic infrastructure is going in to support the project.
Would be nice if this was not just a hearsay from the contractors....perhaps a media prod is in order.
Aloha, Carey

It could be Lowes also. They were orginally going to be building a store in Hilo. But
at the last moment decided to build in Kona.

But either way *any construction* requires
a building permit. I simply don't see Lowes
or Costco pulling a permit recently

http://co.hawaii.hi.us/permits/2006permits.html

Edited by - Aaron S on 09/20/2006 15:56:10
Aloha Punatics,

Technically, they would need a permit for that amount of grading and grubbing, too, if it is over a half acre or so. (I forget the exact details at this moment - low on coffee).

Which highway is 130, anyway? The Keaau Pahoa highway? I suppose I should go get a map or something but these highway numbers mean as much to me as "North" and "West" and those other mainland directions.

Sure, Mella, you can come have pizza with us. You'll have to play The Farming Game too, if you want the full Hamakua Pizza Night Experience! We are up the coast past David in Ninole, but it is all the same rock once you get to this side of the big pond.

My DH, who started out in Connecticut, has an East Coast friend with a pizza place. Sally's Place, I think it was called, even though Sally is a guy. They have huge brick lined ovens which they never turned off and made some really exquisite pizza. I try to match theirs when making pizza but it generally doesn't turn out quite the same. They get a real crispy crust with those ovens. It was a pizza place sort of in an industrial area, I think it was Connecticut. We did a five week honeymoon there and the whole East Coast kinda blurred together after awhile. It was also five years ago. After all, when you live in Hawaii, where else should you honeymoon except the East Coast, eh?

A hui hou,
Cathy

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
quote:
It could be Lowes also. They were orginally going to be building a store in Hilo. But
at the last moment decided to build in Kona.

But either way *any construction* requires
a building permit. I simply don't see Lowes
or Costco pulling a permit recently

http://co.hawaii.hi.us/permits/2006permits.html

I have no idea how Lowe's or Costco operates in this area, but many corporations - large and small - use shell companies and/or wholly owned subsidiaries for their development activities. Usually these entities bear names totally unrelated to that of the parent.

If either of these organizations do business this way it is entirely possible that permits they apply for would not have their 'Costco' or 'Lowe's' corporate names anywhere on them.

aloha,
Gene

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"I've been on food stamps and welfare, did anybody help me out? No." - Craig T. Nelson
I read in the Honolulu Star that at this time they did not have plans to build on the east side yet. I hope I am wrong.

Keith
Keith