Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic Bag Ban Again
Mella, most every grocery store here in Hawaii gives you a bag credit, it is nothing new here.

I bought several heavy duty cloth reinforced with plastic shopping bags at Harrods in London over the years (starting 15 years ago.) While after America caught on to the concept several years ago, I added others from TJ's and Whole Foods, those Harrods bags are still my favorites and get comments every time I use them. Some checkers even remember me because of the Scotties and Westies on them. I have some tropical plastic lined fabric and plan on making shopping bags to sell here.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Quote Devany "I have some tropical plastic lined fabric and plan on making shopping bags to sell here". Oh cool! That sounds like fun.

mella l

"New York London Paris Hilo"
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I am sure a lot of us can remember when we only had paper grocery bags. While they made great cat toys, they were terrible in the rain. I will spare you the gory details stories of when I didn't have a car and needed groceries. Suffice to say, I bought many garbage bags to use for grocery shopping.

Which sort of makes me on the fence for the bag ban. The bags are an eyesore and blow everywhere when improperly disposed of, but they are so very convenient in the rain. They also make great small trash can liners. Yet, if others have to purchase garbage bags to cover their cloth grocery bags, we will still have plastic waste.

The other problem I see is that the groceries will most likely go back to the paper bags. Which will increase paper usage and contribute to deforestation. As only a percentage of paper used is recycled. Of course hemp paper would alleviate part of that, but that's another whole topic in itself.

So, I am really not sure what is the best choice for them to make. No matter which way they go, there will be both negative and positive consequences.

I also feel the ultimate goal of the bans supporters is to force everyone to use reusable bags, but I don't think something like that would ever pass.

Looks like this one will die as well.