Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential restrictions to Mauna Kea access
"If the U.S. Military ever decides to leave Hawaii, Hawaii will end up being overshadowed or completely snapped up by another nation."

Hi beepbeep,

Just so anyone doesn't get the wrong impression, the military itself and on it's own accord doesn't have the authority to pull up stakes and abandon a U.S. state (perhaps barring some outlandish emergency scenario such as a successful invasion by the military forces of The People's Republic of China). Smile
I'm sorry PM2, thank you very much for pointing out my poor wording! What I should have said was if the U.S. Government ever decided to end the military presence in Hawaii, or something like that.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Don't mean to nitpick! Smile I figured that's what you meant. It's just that in this case I thought it was important enough to clarify, as surprisingly there appear to be a number of folks who seem to misleadingly believe and unnecessarily worry over similar misconceptions.
I thought it was important too, and I'm glad you said something. Due to illness I have a lot of time constraints, and most of my writing is done very quickly without much proofreading Smile

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Hey you two, get a room. Oh, wait... [Wink]
Some may enjoy this well written article as it touches on many issues surrounding the TMT project, Hawaiians, and the astronomy communities. Its a Forbes report with opinions from Harvard professors, do they have a clue to what is really going on here?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/20...ntroversy/

For those interested, the VIS has re-opened.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/
Good news Tomk. Would you know if tours or tourist are able to drive up to the summit again, or only observatory workers still aloud? If so, would you know if their is an environmental or culture awareness video being shown to the tourist before the trek to the summit? What is being done to help prevent the Invasive species like the fire ant or coqui from arriving via tour buses or tour vans, any spraying of vehicles anywhere before they go up? Its probably eventually inevitable with so many visitors expected in the years to come, certainly worth protecting against for as long as possible though. Restricting back packs was probably for this purpose as well?
Gypsy,

The answers to your questions are available online and to anyone who spends a little time doing their own research. It might benefit you personally if you stop asking people to do work for you and learn how to actually contribute yourself.

Regards,
Tom
Tom,

You gaining any weight ?

aloha,
pog