Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential restrictions to Mauna Kea access
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

These types of storms can bring a good cleansing as well, hopefully wash away some of the disrespectful human contributions left on the mountain recently.

Where is the "away" you think this stuff is going to wash to? Sh*t flows downhill, and we are on an island in the middle of the Pacific ocean, the only "away" is downhill to the ocean or the lower aquifers most of us depend on for our water. Or is the rest of the land and water not sacred to you, just the top of Mauna Kea?
is the rest of the land and water not sacred to you, just the top of Mauna Kea?

This is actually the position the protestors seem to have taken, as their complaints are centered around the mountaintop, not the larger/more obvious desecration taking place at Waikoloa resorts or the PTA.
"Don't worry about The storms impact to Maunakea, including the 9 acres the TMT plans on detonating."

I suspect it's too much to ask for 1) a cite or 2) an apology for posting more misinformation. Neither seem to be amongst gypsy's strengths.
Very glad to hear Visitor's Center is open!

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Yes, without the hundreds of thousands of dollars the VIS generates every day, I have no idea how the observatories could have kept on operating! [Wink]
TomK, try these guys? http://nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5663

"TomK, try these guys? http://nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5663"

Why? You seem confused about observatory funding, but I'm sure you can rise to the occasion and explain to everyone here what your thinking is. Go on, you actually surprised me this evening, so perhaps you can do it again.
Man alive, you tend to be the disrespectful one here. You spout complete and utter nonsense and total lies much of the time. You make ludicrous blanket statements claiming Astronomers, Scientists and Summit workers disrespect the Aina....as if they are up there pulling some Anti-Captain Planet Pollution Party on the Summit. Back up your nasty lies with facts and data. Otherwise you are no better than that Mean ol' Nutter with the Hate Van in Hilo.

From a non-lolo Hamakua resident who backs up her opinions with facts,

AKpilot

quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

TomK, thanks for your typical and predictable answer. With interests like yours Tomk, its Easier to see why the protesters are doing the protecting against the continued development, abuse, and disregard of our Maunakea(Aina). Astronomers like yourself Tomk, who work atop the mountain should care about the environment as much as the visitor center being open or not, jmo. Maybe The visitor center being open provides business (money) to the astronomers or observatories? where as new methods to prevent further environmental damage is looked at as more inconvenience for the astronomers to deal with. I don't expect any reasoned response or corrections from you Tomk.

This kid says it best when he says nothing at all.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_27txWkOX0c

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
they are up there pulling some Anti-Captain Planet Pollution Party on the Summit

I got my invitation a couple of weeks ago -- if yours is missing, maybe call them and make sure they have your current address.
Jeremy,

"That's really odd, 'cause from my reading, pretty much all TomK has done is provide reasoned responses and corrections. Thanks for that TomK ! Much appreciated."

My apologies, I missed your post. Thank you for that, I really mean it.

For many years I've tried to fight against ignorance and downright lies about how we try to understand our universe and it gets so frustrating sometimes, but comments such as yours let me see that glimmer of light again. Thank you!