Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential restrictions to Mauna Kea access
In light of the recent developments, (ie. Supreme Court hearing today, OHA Board of Trustees meeting today, and the BLNR meeting a couple days ago) this was the closest thread to post the following:

(*Snipped - More at link)

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/08/27/video-mkm-board-chair-offended-by-mauna-kea-land-transfer/st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

The chair of the Mauna Kea advisory group to the University of Hawaii said he is offended by Governor David Ige’s request that the management of 10,000 acres of mountain land leased by UH be returned to the jurisdiction of the State Department of Land and Natural Resources.

Gregory Mooers, the chair of the Mauna Kea Management Board, let his thoughts be known on August 25th during a MKMB meeting in Hilo. “What is (the govnernor) saying about the work that you’ve done?” Mooers asked the room of board members, some of whom also serve or have served on the Kahu Kû Mauna Council. The council advises MKMB and the university’s Office of Mauna Kea Management – or OMKM – on all cultural matters affecting the mountain.

Additionally, the OHA Board of Trustees heard testimony from Tiffanie Kakalia, member of the referenced Kahu Ku Mauna, who stated they have not been part of the conversation, and asked OHA to participate, which is dictated by law, to be part of the "proposed rules" that are being drafted.

Chairman of OHA stated the last time he was consulted was three (3) years ago. He urged the Administration of OHA to follow up on Ms. Kakalia's concerns, as they (OHA) are part of the deciding body, whereas her "council" is merely for "consultation".

Link to Kahu Ku Mauna:

http://www.malamamaunakea.org/management/kahu-ku-mauna

OHA's BOT went into Executive Session, and discussed the legal matters before them with regard to Mauna Kea.

If nothing else, there is progress. Everyone is calling everyone out on this issue. Good. UH, BLNR, DLNR, Gov. Ige, all have some explaining to do. Move forward with open discussion towards resolution.

Please, and thank you.

JMO.
Hi Opihikao,

Your Big Island video link doesn't work, hopefully this one does:

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...-transfer/
Thank you, Sir! Welcome home (I think you're home?).

Still watching/listening to this hearing today. Just beyond belief, Sir. It reminds me of the Superferry in many respects.

Poho, Sir. Papa always said, "Do your homework, and do it right once." Much like the carpenter's saying of "measure twice, cut once." UGH!

PaulW, for the record (before you ask...lol. [Big Grin]), I continue to support the TMT, with conditions, Sir. The restrictions (bringing this back to topic as I listen to this dribble in court today) proposed must be tailored to "Conservation" requirements as dictated by law. As an aside, the County just recently extended the permits for TMT (I believe for one year) due to this delay in construction.

On the Federal level, we have the potential for intervention given the current negotiations regarding "nation building" (NOT reinstating Kingdom status. Two completely separate pipe dreams, IMO.)

Now, bidding a good night to all. This damn heat, combined with listening to this hearing, and mo'opuna finally asleep, a hui hou.

JMO.