Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hwy 130 speed limit drop
Thank you James for the document indicating that the lowered speed limit was based on community input.

My concern about the slower speed is not primarily that it will take a few minutes more time to drive through that section, it is that by reducing the speed of traffic, you allow less volume of traffic to travel the road. On an already very congested road, this will increase the number of cars on the road in any given distance and thereby actually increase the accident rate.

Because this was based on community input, I will now shut up and wait and see what happens.

By the way, anyone have an update on the 130 expansion work????
Community input in and of itself should not trump established DOT policies and procedures or existing data. DOT changes, in some cases increases speed limits all the time, presumably based on research. Not long ago after the speed measuring devices were put around Kaimu and the 130 to 137 intersections, they actually increased the limits. I'm guessing until this request was made their data didn't warrant a change. There is data to suggest this will increase accidents, and by definition it reduces traffic flow. There is no data to suggest otherwise.
DOT policies and procedures have not done us much good so far, so I'll go with community input on this one. Folks, our highway is deadly.

But to your point about previous "studies," I have a question: do all studies to date in all situations indicate that increased speed limits always reduce deaths? If so then you might have a case. If not, then it seems to me that lowering the speed limit, collecting data, then analyzing the results would be more scientific, no?

But I have to wonder: would having police set up more drunk checkpoints routinely on weekends have a greater impact? Won't know that either unless we try it...and collect data.

Much ado about nothing.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Maybe we should put in big speed humps before each intersection?
Dunno about all you...

But I try to do the speed limit and it's hard to do on that stretch because most people from HPP are entering the highway and there isn't enough "RUNWAY" to get up to 55 before entering onto 130. So mostly you do 45 anyway unless there is a rare opportunity in that case I go 55-60MPH though that area. Be lucky Hawaii has not adopted what most of the mainland speeds are 75 MPH.

Speed Does KILL, but I don't think it's going to matter much since as soon as you get past the humane society the speed drops to 45 than 35 than 25 and most the time on my way to Hilo, as soon as the two lane opens up even tho the speed is 45 they go faster when the speed was 55! Of course everyone passing all the slow people in the SLOW lane you know...yeah that slow lane on the LEFT! Smile If they can't enforce that stretch how are they going to enforce 3 miles of HPP 45?

Everyone is doing 45 anyway lucky to do 50 and even at 50 mph thats only 5 mph faster ... most cops won't even bother to pull you over.

Just driving down Kahakai that's suppose to be 35... If you're not doing at least 40 people getting pissed already and for god's sake don't even THINK of stopping at the stop sign at the elementary school! Smile

Just another day in paradise!
Seems like I've gleaned the following invaluable points out of this thread:

- The speed limit is changing
- The highway is pretty much a death crap shoot
- Most everyone agrees that local drivers here pretty much suck
- About half of everyone here believes it's their (the local hawaii drivers) fault that they (the local hawaii drivers) suck, and not themselves (us local hawaii drivers) that are playing any part in the issue
- There seems to be a leaning towards safety (thankfully)
- Some (most) perceive safety is more probable at 45mph
- Some believe safety is more probable at 55-65mph
- And some don't really care, as long as they can drive whatever speed they choose, whenever that may be

Hats off to Russell. We'd never have had this deep discussion if not for him.

As for myself? Let's get the limit down to 35mph; I don't live here to rush around on other peoples a$$#s trying to get somewhere that probably isn't ultra-critical to get to. And while we're (err... I'm) at it (expressing personal opinions, that is), let's raise the gas prices to around $10+ gallon. I know I would personally see value from that, on our roads. Probably pretty quickly.

Since neither of those will happen in the near term (well, one more likely than the other), I'll continue to bike commute, in off hours, on secondary roads when possible, in full safety gear. Which brings up (completely off topic, you're witnessing an age thing...) the fact that most bedroom communities I've had experience with have had pretty good commuter transportation options. I know we're slowly getting bus service, but what about vanpools? More park and rides (beyond the Hui)? Other?

Helicopters???
Smile

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
is it really going to take 8 years to put in another 2 lanes to pahoa? Hmmmm. Probably ... maybe 10 the way things work around here. Heck, the volcano will solve all our problems one day.

Smile
Much simpler solution: a $5/gallon gas tax to pay for the highway expansion -- if people still "need" to drive, the road is fully funded; if the tax "forces" people to adapt, no need to expand the road.
Any updates on this? I haven't seen any work on putting new speed signs up so checked to see what dates have been mentioned. May was mentioned here and in the Trib it said the first week of May (which of course starts tomorrow).

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
The signs were up Yesterday...

And as expected... Everyone doing 10 mph under... so 35 is now the new norm...