Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I am greatful that Hawaii is a "welfare state"
Many,many,many of Ss recipients live hand to mouth! Living on $1200 or less a month then take out for medications monthly depending on the person, but even with drug coverage many seniors pay hundreds a month on meds, they can't afford food for the entire month! Let alone bills and other living expenses! UKJ the population you are trying.to communicate about the so called rich SS recipient is so minute it's not worth the discussion. Let the breeders starve, sorry but they pop kids out one after another with no regard as to how to support them, no forethought, can't feed them, don't want to get that job cause it's only minimum wage yet they stand in the welfare line texting on their $400 dollar iPhone, sorry no sympathy here! It's called survival of the fittest as this world is way overpopulated anyways! I think ignorance is bliss!
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

There in lies the argument - fruits of your (our, my) labor - using whoms roads, grid or educational system - its the no man is an island concept

Luckily for me I got a far superior private education, plan to go off grid and I am willing to pay for my roads, just not with a middle man. The roads in my neighborhood are private and superior to the public roads outside. People think that the government builds the roads, they don't, they pay contractors to build them, why cant we just pay them directly? Never known a tollway in worse shape then federal highways as a bonus, faster speeds, safer with fewer police collecting tolls. The grid is already privately owned, however its unfortunate that it is just one government maintained monopoly, it really could be a lot cheaper if they allowed competition.

No man is an island, but its nice when people aren't forced to do things, its nice when they can VOLUNTARILY choose to make contracts, associations, donations or whatever.

You preach violence without choice, I preach peace and voluntary interactions. Violence does not make us prosperous and does not make things fair, Peace and individual Liberty lead to prosperity. I would love hear about ways of doing things that does not force people with guns, cause that is what the government does.

Aloha.
I'm sorry you had to read that bgiles ... This is the new face of punaweb.

aloha,
pog
Not the only new face. Some of us are considerate

Be Now
Aloha
Be Now
Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

"(I need it to make those payments on that 150 foot yacht to get me back and forth to my condo on Maui)

I hate to go off topic ... But can I get a ride with you to Maui? Maybe you can take some Punawebbers with ya! Smile
D2k, A) and C). Love Punaweb, learn lots, try to contribute if I think it might connect. Aloha and mahalo.

bamboo2u
I had posted a question earlier, but don't think I have received an answer yet, so I'll try again.
Julie, if the deficit problem is created by retired people accepting a Social Security check:

1) How many retirees are independently wealthy and can do without a monthly Soc Sec check?
(my guess is that there are about as many independently wealthy retired people as there are independently wealthy people of working age. Maybe a few more, but not many out of the general population)
2) If all independently wealthy retired people stop cashing their Soc Sec check, how much money does this amount to?
3) What % of the total Soc Sec system is this?
4) Do you want people who are not independently wealthy to stop getting a Soc Sec check? If so, what should they do for money?

If you can't answer these questions, is it still worth posting a proposal that then creates more of a problem than a solution?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by OpenD

quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

UNJ - you do realize that social security recipients are taxed on anything over the base amount of:

$32,000 for married couples filing jointly.
$25,000 for single, head of household, qualifying widow/widower with a dependent child, or married individuals filing separately who did not live with their spouses at any time during the year.

According to multiple sources, Hawai'i does NOT tax SS benefits.

"There are nine states that exempt all federal, military, and in-state pensions as well as all Social Security benefits from income tax: Alabama, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, and Pennsylvania. Alabama, Hawaii, and Illinois also exempt income from certain types of private pensions."

http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes/a/B...tirees.htm

Hawaii does not tax SS, but the Feds (IRS) do in fact tax SS if you are over their limits as noted in my previous post.

Luckily for me I got a far superior private education, plan to go off grid and I am willing to pay for my roads, just not with a middle man. The roads in my neighborhood are private and superior to the public roads outside. People think that the government builds the roads, they don't, they pay contractors to build them, why cant we just pay them directly? Never known a tollway in worse shape then federal highways as a bonus, faster speeds, safer with fewer police collecting tolls. The grid is already privately owned, however its unfortunate that it is just one government maintained monopoly, it really could be a lot cheaper if they allowed competition.

I find that the Libertarian view is most often among the affluent. I can only assume that "far superior private education" came with a price. As bad as you feel highways are, I can't imagine if they were controlled piecemeal. This is what government does and what a society is supposed to be. We are supposed to take of those who can't take care of themselves for whatever reason. Libertarians always remind me of that old song, I've Got Mine.
quote:
Originally posted by jackson

.... Libertarians always remind me of that old song, I've Got Mine.

Not a song, but conversation with many of my progressive friends philosophize: I have mine, but let me tell you how you should share (spend) yours.

I guess in light of this thread it also might mean - and donot take all yours.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident