Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Costco on the East side
We have found time and again (we sat down and did the math) that if you just shop sales in the regular stores you can save a lot over any and all those big box stores. Walgreens, for instance, if you watch their ads, they beat walmart a lot of the time, and beat em bad sometimes. Just read the ads and watch the markdown / clearance areas.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Walgreens is a big box store too.

It's inevitable that Costco will open a store in East Hawaii, the only question is where. I hope they realize how fast-growing Puna is and put it near the 130/11 intersection.

It's win-win-win - hundreds of new jobs, thousands of people won't have to make the drive to Kona and tens of thousands will save money every week.

There are plenty of people (including me) who aren't a member now but would be if they were on the East side.
All the 130/11 lands are Shipman ag, except for the industrial subdivision (commercial but no water).

There's a recurring pattern here: every potential project seems to have at least one impossible hurdle (zoning, power, water, "proper" road access), except for the occasional "blessed" project (HMSA Keaau, KTA Pahoa).

I would have slightly more respect for a system that plainly indicates which things are "blessed" ... but part of that "barrier to entry" is forcing people to figure it out as they go along. Maybe it really is transparent if you're spending $1M:

Costco: "Where will you let us build this?"
County: "How about that new industrial park near Kona?"
Costco: "We were actually thinking east side, somewhere outside of Hilo."
County: "You're welcome to apply for permits... but there might be problems with that."
Costco: "Kona it is then!"
Or maybe a business opportunity - I'd pay a 10.00 fee to save the grind..... though I dont think I have a need for costco .... but a lowes run would catch my interest and ten dollars
Would you pay 10%.

Last time i looked here in alaska you could easily save 10% or more on select items from costco. But the overall savings for a whole cart of the things we bought regularly was around 5%. It doesn't seem to make the trip worth it, or a very good business case.

Life Is Good
Life Is Good
quote:
Originally posted by Derrick Barnicoat

Support your local businesses please. If we all supported each other we wouldn't have to resort to the big box economic structure which sucks the life blood out of communities. The big box perpetuates keeping the class structure intact, poor stay poor, rich stay rich. If you support a brighter future you would not give your money to these businesses. They are not to be trusted. They do not have the betterment of humanity and our earth in mind. In fact, they have the opposite in mind. Their priority is profit.

Just not true. I know a guy that stated out at one of the big boxes here collecting carts out in the parking lot while he was going to school. He kept moving up to better and better positions and now he's in management. He might not be getting rich, but he supports his family.

Let's hope their priority is profit. Without it the business would fail and the 100's of bread winners that depend on the big boxes for employment would be out of a job, but I guess they would be better off on welfare anyway.

And you are saying that local businesses don't care about profit?

-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
Back off topic..."Ulupono Town Center" is the development on the street off of Milo/HWY130, with the fee simple industrial lots...There were rumors a wayyy back that some big box was going in there, but the land is fairly small lot for a big box & most big boxes do not do fee simple land, at least here...

There are fire hydrants along Ulupono (have no idea if they are connected... but all of the past ads have listed county water in the ad....)

For those who have no idea what land we are talking about, this link has a photo from when they were first laying it out:
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14999158/...-Keaau-HI/
quote:
Originally posted by Cagary

quote:

Support your local businesses please. If we all supported each other we wouldn't have to resort to the big box economic structure which sucks the life blood out of communities. The big box perpetuates keeping the class structure intact, poor stay poor, rich stay rich. If you support a brighter future you would not give your money to these businesses. They are not to be trusted. They do not have the betterment of humanity and our earth in mind. In fact, they have the opposite in mind. Their priority is profit.

Just not true. I know a guy that stated out at one of the big boxes here collecting carts out in the parking lot while he was going to school. He kept moving up to better and better positions and now he's in management. He might not be getting rich, but he supports his family.

Let's hope their priority is profit. Without it the business would fail and the 100's of bread winners that depend on the big boxes for employment would be out of a job, but I guess they would be better off on welfare anyway.

Cagary you bring up a very good point. People throw around the "buy local" mantra even if all the profits are kept only by a local family, while they simultaneously reject big corporate stores that anybody can own stock in. Anybody who takes part in an employer sponsored retirement program whether its a pension or even just owning shares in a diversified mutual fund owns stock in a big box corporate store regardless of whether or not they are aware of it. There are more shareholder "local owners" of corporate stores than there are owners of local stores.
I don't believe the Ulupono hydrants are connected to anything.

The HELCO spur isn't live either.

I believe the CU is actually getting both power and water from Milo.

The Long's next door to the CU isn't quite a "big box". Of note, they acquired the lot in 2008 -- I wonder if this was planned "in addition" to Pahoa, or if the Pahoa location was "instead".
quote:
Originally posted by Cagary

quote:

So some guy climbed a corporate ladder, good for him and many many more are struggling to keep their small businesses open because of that one store. Should we all just give up an go start pushing carts at Costco? Go work for the place that we spend most of our money at? That doesn't sound sustainable. Is Costco even offering up that many management jobs? How about cart pushing jobs? Good thing we don't all have the same ambitions.

Local businesses care about profit, of course, this is a capitalist society and they have bills to pay, but they also tend to care more about their community. Where as, if you look to areas of the U.S. that have let big box stores take hold you get the Los Angeles effect. Sprawl and more sprawl with strip malls, chain stores, office park, artery clogging fast food restaurants and malls. The landscape gets paved over and all the mom and pop businesses that open close just as fast. Reminds me of the time I spent in the suburbs of Atlanta. A new strip mall would be built, mom and pop stores would move in and do barely any business then the spaces would go vacant. The area was mile upon mile of empty strip malls because every mile there is a walmart. With in a half mile of walmart is a Sams club. Plus there are several Costcos in there as well. None of that money comes back to the community. In fact, all that money spent gets sent right out of the country. So these corporate entities have no obligation to the community. Local businesses do have a very real obligation on the other hand because the owners usually live in that area and have to interact with the people of the area. So they must be fair or they risk going out of business and into debt.

Also it should be noted that not everyone wants to work at Costco or Sams club. Some people don't want to rise to the level of middle management and call that a life because they know what they love to do. Some people love to be in direct connection with their community. Some people want to own a business and don't want to be pushed out by a monopoly that is to big to care.These people who put love back into a community in a direct and real way are the salt of the earth. It is actually illegal in the U.S. to run a monopoly and these big box stores destroy communities and the environment physically and mentally. In Atlanta the suburbs are generally 10 degrees hotter than the city because of the vast expanses of parking where a natural landscape used to exist. You could even go to five starbucks without leaving a single parking lot and they all have drive throughs so you don't even have to get out of the car. Cars make the air unbreathable because of traffic. It is not necessary to create an environment that perpetuates laziness and sheepish behavior. This is what these big boxes do. They get an inch and take a mile. They are a cancer in this world. They thrive on greed, gluttony and laziness. They suck the soul out of being a human on earth.