Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am being bumped off shifts by a retiree
Before we light the ovens, may we consider the fact that currently savings interest rates are less than 1% the boomers that were responsible and saved need to work because their savings wont support them. why are savings rates low - because the fed is dumping money to support the job market....

Secondly west ward expansion is over - instead of an ever expanding pie - we are now dicing and slicing that economic pie ever smaller.

Thirdly - this is the big island of Hawaii there is no work here compared to major metro areas ..tourism and retirement ..... wanna work - need to bring your own job ....its a tough place to make a living

and finally - I see folks with skills in my field half my age with twice my smarts - taking home really good salaries - I bowed out I just dont have the drive they do. (anymore)

Those with skills shared by many may not do so well in this competitive labor market.

Add to that - computers have replaced so many employees - when is the last time you actually talked to some one when you bought your hawaiian airlines ticket....

the IP folks replacing the call center workers etc.... it is why I will not use the self check out lane at market - we need checkers not terminals....

I think your plan for mass euthanasia may bit a bit pre mature - grin
quote:
Originally posted by gogould

Baby Boomers are going to get a lot of death with dignity philosophy coming at them...we are going to be blamed for the mess.

We are going to be fed to the ovens in about ten years unless our society figures out the problem Julie is so reasonably describing.

The last time someone tried to blame an entire group of people for a perceived problem, then sent that group to the ovens, not many people agreed with the idea. Once they realized what was happening.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Bullwinkle, completely get you with the grocery store and the self check out lanes. Back on the mainland, I always refused to bag my own groceries at Safeway, my opinion is that I was going to take away the possibility of someone else getting an entry level job, if I always stepped up to relieve Safeway of that obligation. Why should I pay them and then have to bag my own groceries because they didn't want to hire and staff at appropriate levels. Here on Hawaii island, well, my partner gives me crap if I don't chip in and help bag. He doesn't want me to be seen as the angry white guy from the mainland.
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

I have yet another part time job. I am being bumped off of shifts by a person already retired. When I asked this person "why do you want to work so much?", the answer was basically, "I am bored and don't like sitting around the house".
This post is not about hating this person, because I can find other things to do with my time- other than work- but I just find this mentality odd. I will stay "poor", and the other person will stay "rich"- and this bothers so many people- but for me it comes down to- "isn't there some kind of obligation to allow others in the prime of their lives/working years, to have a chance at working, and developing a professional persona?"
I really cannot imagine- if I were retired and bored- bumping someone off shifts who has three kids to take care of. I guess I would just "find something else to do"- possibly unpaid volunteer work.

Ask yourself; why is that a retiree is just as valuable as you, doing the same job. He's old and BORED, yet can replace you no problem. Don't you find THAT odd?

Here's the answer: "isn't there some kind of obligation to allow others in the prime of their lives/working years, to have a chance at working, and developing a professional persona?"

As an employer in the private sector, I hire on attitude first, skills and experience second. Whenever I get the sense that an employee feels they are "entitled" to anything that was neither promised or required by law, they are quickly shown the door. They serve as a cancerous tumor in any organization or society for that matter. Government labor seems to be able to absorb this mentality much more readily, probably because they had a lot to do with creating it in the first place.

aloha bull... "because the fed is dumping money to support the job market"...job market?...your mak'in ah funny yea?
Hey, 4dognight, ask yourself the question, "Is the retiree really more valuable than me, or were they just born in the right time and place (and race probably as well)"?
The imaginary money the fed is materializing is not benefitting us in Hawaii, we can't get the free money with 0% interest, no jobs I'm afraid either. It's going directly to the owners of the fed, the large private banks and their big business friends. We just get the resulting distorted economy, rising prices, stagnate wages and horrible job market.
I am more in tune with this I am thinking, because for many years, I would literally walk into a place and be hired and put in charge of things. I was always the youngest person. I also was the youngest person graduating in my program in college. I have been in the workforce for a very long time- although I am not that "old". When I was hired by the state in past years- the benefits were great and the pension plans and health insurance was 100% paid for. Now, recently, I did have a fulltime job and it was abysmal. 8% went off the top - and there was no choice involved- to go to pay for the bankrupted retirement funds here in Hawaii. (yes, I can get a portion of that back when I am 65) Also, I was paying 250 per month for my employee sponsored health plan. I suppose I also miss the "good old days", but I am also am just really worried about our young people coming up today... And also, I make less per hour now, then I did 10 years ago- for the same job. I was thinking of switching careers, but am now back with my old career, and once again have lots of responsibility- but am being paid less.
By the logic of the OP, jobs held by people in her generation that have more than the next generation should be given up to this new working generation.

Unlike the OP, they are graduating out of college into no jobs
Unlike the OP they did not have a midlife change of venue, leave where they have "worked for 20years, come to a new place, buy a 3 acre farm in Puna AND a house in HIlo, and still complain that that they should HAVE MORE!

The generation now coming into the job market have the highest education debt, and the highest interest rate for that education.

Instead the OP wants someone who has been on island & working longer than her to give up their job just for her....

I bet she will have many reason why she would not give up her job, right now, for the next generation that needs the job she has, even though they have far less that she does...

Her complaints sound more like the complaints my mom got in the late forties & early fifties, when men were demanding that she give up her job so that a man could have it.... I really thought in my lifetime we were over this nonsense decades ago, but the OP put it in a way that makes it sound just like the old complaints of yore...

If women in the 40's & 50's had done what the OP now wants others to do....well... SHE would not have had 20 years of working....

So UKJulie, are you ready to give up your job today for a milennial who really needs those shifts to get their first job so they can keep from going further in debt?

Remember that you have far more (probably way more than five times) than most of the milennials... If you are not, then you are not true to the whole premise of this post.
Yep, I have given my shifts to people "poorer" or "younger" than me many times, and I will continue to do so. I feel it is my responsibility to nurture the next generation.